Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crankcase/sump guard

Hi
I would like a sump guard but Les/Russel motors sold out due to the D Day bash, and he didn't keep back a copy.....
I have a mate who's good at fabricating and quite happy to make one or more should someone have a spare for him to make a pattern from. I could get a few made up and advertise them here. If you check my website you can see all my details so the part will be safe. In the unlikely event of anyone having one to sell I'd be happy to buy.
cheers
Jerry the clog

Re: crankcase/sump guard

I can't help with an original - my 16H is strictly early-war.

The 'Crankcase' undershield (part no.2001) was not listed until contract C14498 (W78001-on) but photographic evidence suggests that it was actually fitted from C11082 (W60001), mid 1942 which probably means that yours should have one.

It's quite a handy thing as rolling the bike down a kerb is enough to scrape the cases.

Hi Jez, I asked on here for the same thing and luckily Martin sent me a template which I had fabricated into a well made sump guard. I also bought a sheet of metal and had it laser cut to make a batch of these. Unfortunately my fabricator died suddenly at 48 and I never got any of my stuff back from his workshop.

I did have the good sense to photo copy the part. If you print the side plate picture at A4 paper size it should come out the correct size.

photo Norton16HSumpGuard3_zps280929f7.jpg

photo Norton16HSumpGuard12_zps601b2054.jpg

photo Norton16HSumpGuard11_zps08758c19.jpg

Hi Jez
Ive just made one out of a road barrier (i didnt lift it, it was being scrapped) and guesstimated the size off pictures from the forum!
Ill be printing Horrors detailed picture for the future though!
 photo IMAG0865_zps2fc20599.jpg
 photo IMAG0862_zps5aabb272.jpg
 photo IMAG0861_zpsada1676f.jpg
 photo IMAG0860_zps5f6d9e09.jpg
Cheers Stu

Thanks everyone
This must be one of the most active forums going, and I've been on a few...
That's enough info and thanks for taking the time to post all the pics. It would still be great if we could get hold of one to copy. Robin doesn't do lazercut, or computers for that matter. What would be a reasonable price to charge?
I'd probably get at least three made up. One for me one for sale and one for a pattern.

Cornucopia Enterprises sell them for £40

http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/catalogue/flyer_norton.pdf

Watch out, I think that £40 is his 1997 price ! I can't believe he hasn't updated it for that long. Availability is not what the listings suggest either.

Cornucopia got back to me, said they can make one for £60. £30 deposit and wait a few months. They stopped listing them years ago due to lack of demand.
But things have moved on since then...

I got mine from Cornucopia many years ago and it is top notch.

Your bike looks really good Sam
Much better than the one recently featured from the UK National Museum. That was over restored and missing parts. I'm not going to restore mine, just run it in it's early '50s time capsule form as it was purchased demobbed from Pride and Clarke of London. It all works properly saving work to be done on the lights, but I doubt that will take much. I need the sump guard as I want to run it at this year's Arbuthnot trial, across Salisbury Plain near Stonehenge.

Got S/H one from Cornucopia today, with post and vat £100

Ouch... that took a year to sort out, It's amazing how time flies.