Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wd Norton 16H magneto sprocket removal

Do Any one Know how to get the sprocket of the end of the magneto ?
Iv Have had a look in the Civvi hand book and the Wd handbook but to no avail

thank you all in advance Ted

Re: Wd Norton 16H magneto sprocket removal

Here's a simple tool for doing it, if you make this tool, you hook it under the sprocket and give it a sharp blow on the lever. This should break the seal on the chamfer and release the sprocket.

photo Sprocket-tool_zpst0n7uobo.jpg

You can also undo the nut a few turns, hold the sprocket with 2 thin levers and tap the nut to shock it. Don't hit the threaded end of the armature or you'll damage it and don't hit it without holding the sprocket or you'll crack your mag ring. I ground the feet of a small puller so it fitted. I have to unbolt the one leg off the puller, get it in place, then bolt it back on. But it works. Don't lever on the timing case as it will crack.

Ted,

I prefer ice spray which is especially formulated for opening locked threads.

Rostlöser

I just use a small three leg puller to get it off the taper. Whatever you use be very careful not to damage the rear of the timing cover, I've seen loads that have broken and have had to be welded.
For the same reason I would not recommend Horror's method using that metal lever.

Horror's method is the official one - there is a drawing in the M&I manual available for download on this site.

The lever is not used against the casing but back on itself with the cam spindle as fulcrum point.

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Downloads/16h%20M&I%20manual%20200dpi%20by%20courtesy%20of.pdf

hope the poster does not mind me asking this question ,re my question 16h over heating .

the answers were that it could possibly be retarded .
would some one post up a idiot guide/simplified answer on how once the mag sprocket is removed you set the timing ,i think ive got the jist of it but just to make sure ive got it right .
the bike starts easy and idles well, however on fully advanced it still feels as if it needs advancing further even with the advance / retard level fully advanced ,which makes me think that the timing cam is slightly out and the points are starting to open to soon or to late.

thanks all

As Rik points out in this thread the Maintenance and Instruction manual is available for free download on this site. It goes into describing how to do the ignition timing in detail.

Keith H
As Rik points out in this thread the Maintenance and Instruction manual is available for free download on this site. It goes into describing how to do the ignition timing in detail.

cheers keith
bit of a internet numpty wheres that download mate

[quote

cheers keith
bit of a internet numpty wheres that download mate[/quote]
On website main front page press the blue download word, take it from there