Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
m
Matt
Fiberfill effects on a ported loudspeaker.
I bought a pair of DCM KX12's back around 1996. (They have been in storage nearly all this time.) The KX12 is a 3-way ported design. A 12" woofer, 6" midrange and a horn tweeter. There are two 4" ports out the back of the cabinet. They are inexpensive speakers, but I...
Views: 495   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 11, 2006 4:49pm
by Mark Leraan
d
Dave R
Dayton budget 2 way vetn location
In the enclosure description for the Dayton Budget 2 way, it states to center the vent on the rear panel. The picture shows the vent in the top half of the rear panel. Does it make a difference where the vent is located? Does it need to be behind the tweeter as in...
Views: 600   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2006 4:06pm
by Dave R
Crossover and cabinet design
Hi I am planing to build a two way speaker using Dynaudio drivers. I would like to use the the D28/2 tweeter and the 17W75 woofer. Does anyone have a good crossover and cabinet design for these drivers. Thanks Gary
Views: 591   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2006 10:06pm
by Garrett J. Roach
Driver Selection and Crossover Design
Hi everyone, I wish to construct a cheap pair of studio monitors. As such, my design goals are neutral response, and tight transients, over a range of about 50 Hz to 20 Khz plus. I will be using a subwoofer, so they need not extend lower. I have alread chosen...
Views: 582   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 24, 2006 9:59pm
by J.R.Freeman
cabinet material?
Has anyone built a cabinet out of glass, say 1/2" thick? How would that work? What is the best way to connect the glass? Like a fish tank?
Views: 564   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 3, 2006 7:44pm
by J Hoppe
k
Kato
new to speaker building - impossible inductor values
Hi Folks. I'm new to DIY speaker building. I have a copy of the David Weems book and an eagerness to build something small and amazing. I decided to try the Zaph "12" (for lack of an actual name) as a near field pair for a home overdub studio. This one: http://ww...
Views: 595   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 27, 2006 5:39am
by grant
t
Ty
simple passive crossover?
i need a make a very simple crossover for my KLH speakers...its just that i dont know the first thing about impendence or ohms or any of that stuff all i know is is my rear speakers will be of 1 driver and 1 tweeter pulled out of one of the KLH platnum series 325-II...
Views: 480   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 17, 2006 2:22pm
by Marty H
g
gary
2-way or 3-way
Hi all, I am looking for information or discussion that compares and contrasts some of the more common speaker configurations. I am mainly interested in the pros and cons of 2 way and 3 way designs but would also like to learn about specific designs (MTM, D'Apolli...
Views: 540   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2006 6:58pm
by Trevor G.
Newbie Question: Veritas Speakers
Hello All, I am currently building my first set of speakers, the Veritas. I have all of the mdf cut and I am about to begin assembly, but I need two questions answered first> 1) I have noticed Wayne specifically mentions acoustic damping material in the build d...
Views: 744   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 16, 2006 9:04am
by Dan
g
grant
Lyra crossover for Vifa Drivers? - a newbie Q
Hi, I found this site via diyaudio.com. I have some old but good Vifa drivers D25 ferro tweet 6 ohms,D75 3"dome tweet 8ohms, P25 10"poly woofer. The graphs of these seem very similar to the Dayton drivers used in the Lyra. Except parts express says the 275-070 i...
Views: 526   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 7:19am
by grant
p
phil
Eros vs Living Voice Avatar mkII or Avatar OBX-R2
Has anyone had the chance of comparing the Eros to the Living Voice Avatar or Avatar OBX-R2 loudspeakers? I am in love with these and mate wonderfully with my amps, but are unfortunately out of my budget... I would like to hear any comments if you have had the...
Views: 485   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 23, 2006 5:49pm
by Philip Aktkinson
l
Lance
Veritas listening remarks/review/etc?
Anyone have any feedback regarding the Veritas? I'm looking for a new pair of mains and based on the little I've read and the design/specs/drivers, the Veritas looks like a good fit for my budget and etc. However, I'm having trouble finding a review/posting/etc by...
Views: 548   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 4, 2006 6:27pm
by Bruce Thomas
Lyra Speakers
I am researching the Lyra design, before building my first set of speakers. The page on building them is not too detailed as far as the enclosures are concerned. Does anyone have more details as far as dampening materials? Also are there any recommended modificati...
Views: 887   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 4, 2006 5:51pm
by Bruce Thomas
D8 volume?
Wayne proposes a volume of 56 liters which is 1.98 cubic feet. Dave Tenney shows a volume of almost twice that on his website. Is this just a matter of tunning fequency? The volume difference is huge.
Views: 588   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2006 10:00am
by Mark
This Board Must DIE!
Don't get me wrong...I like having a forum for you nice folks to post on... but Bravenet has gotten seriously expensive over the years and the quality of the forum software stinks. Thusly, I have decided to make a new board available for Speakerbuilder.net The...
Views: 2137   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2006 9:31am
by Dennis Moore
MK1 or MK11
Which Eros crossover would be better suited for a Yamaha Rxv-1400 (110 watts)? It has a 4ohm setting and I talked to someone who runs 4 ohm speakers with no problems on his. P.S. I'll be asking a lot of questions that will show my lack of knowledge. Any help wil...
Views: 830   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 26, 2006 4:22pm
by Andy
VD Project (Vifa/Dayton)
There is a project on the PE showcase of a Vifa P17WJ with Dayton Silk Tweet. The author did a nice write up on it and said the crossover desigh was done by Wayne J. There was no mention if the crossover was designed for a certain size baffle or any measurements. I w...
Views: 554   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 21, 2006 12:25am
by Bill Currier
dayton 8 question
Does anyone know if the crossover on this site for the dayton 8 found here http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/calgen/calgen1.htm at the bottom has the tweeter normal or reverse polarity. I was thinking of building it. thanks
Views: 715   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 20, 2006 4:40pm
by Eric Y.
round to rectangular port
Over the years I've built a few speakers. I just recently 'decommitioned' my 32 year old Heathkit Amp when a great deal came up on a H-K receiver. I have JBL L-88's in the livingroom and J2050 in the den which also are used when we watch DVD's. I am thinking of givi...
Views: 480   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2006 4:02pm
by Wayne J.
Infinity POS IIs
Hello -- I'm restoring a pair of old Infinity POS II speakers. They are two-way ported with 10" woofers and 2" tweeters. Dimensions: 24" H, 13" W, 12" D -- volume approx. 2.17'. Ports are 2" wide, 8" long. I want to replace the original drivers and crossovers wit...
Views: 569   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 13, 2006 5:35pm
by Bill Currier
Eros MKII reduce sibilance
Hi All, I have found an easy way to reduce the sibilance (yes there is on the Eros MKII): two layers of reel woolen velt. See image for the looks. It does not alter the dynamics or character of the Eros. Eros velt
Views: 768   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 12, 2006 7:20pm
by jeff
a
AJ
Peecreek's
I was wondering how everyone liked this speaker and if they would be okay for a desk moniter? powered by a onkyo tx-844. This will be my first real speaker building endeavor so i wanted to make sure they would work well in a close listening distance, around 3ft-4ft?
Views: 565   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 12, 2006 1:48pm
by Bill Currier
EROS next perhaps - opinions
So far I have built the DIII', the Lyras and the Veritas. They are all great. I just finished the Lyras and really love the sound. They are going to a friend after I listen for a whil. I have been using the Veritas for my own and really love the full robust sound, im...
Views: 827   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 12, 2006 12:57am
by Andy
Poor customer service from Parts Express
I hope the people at parts express customer service are reviewing this message board. After many years of purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise from parts express, I will never do business with them again. They are selling items (Open House cable distri...
Views: 718   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 27, 2006 3:22pm
by stevenbarry
Re: Lyra Speakers-Crossover Questions
OK so I'm a newbie! To clarify my previous post, what's with the 330uH inductors in the high and mid circuits? Is that the same as a .33mH? Also regarding the 11.6uF capacitator in the mid. The closest I can get t is a combination of 11.5uF. Is that close enough...
Views: 400   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2006 2:40pm
by Mark Schrier
Info on Lyra Speakers
Greetings experienced Builders, I am thinking about building my first set of speakers. Thinking that the Lyra's might fill the needs for my mucic tastes (blues, rock, etc,). I can find a lot of info on the DIII's which are my second choice, but not so on the Lyr...
Views: 399   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2006 8:41pm
by Mark Schrier
p
Paul L
Similar DIII crossover question - difference btwn versions?
Good afternoon, I am now (finally) getting some good work done on my DIII project and had a few questions about the crossover. I had started laying out the crossover using the nicely printed schematic (I didn't buy my tweeters between July 2001 and May 2002....
Views: 362   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2006 5:03pm
by Paul L
e
Ed C
PX Project Details
Have been away for a good while ... were the PX details ever posted?? Thanx
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 7, 2006 1:04pm
by Ed C
s
Samm
D3 optional bypass capacitor
What is the purpose of the optional cap? What is gained by using it?
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 5, 2006 10:55pm
by Samm
prefab crossovers
are they ok to use in a two way speaker build for new home theater set up
Views: 362   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 1, 2006 10:19am
by Dan B
p
preedy
Being inquisitive
I am considering building the Dayton 3 speakers, but before I do, I would like some information. 1. Do I need to use an op-amp/mic and speakerworks to tune the inclosure if I build the inclosure to wayne design specs? 2. How hungry are these speakers? Will a s...
Views: 520   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 28, 2006 4:31pm
by Rudy D
r
Rudy D
veneering
I have built 3 DIII's. all have had the front baffle straight no rounded edges. this time I rounded the edges as outlined. It came out well. however when I went to veneer, the material cracked, and it would not sit snug around the rounded edge, I had pre-glued so I...
Views: 562   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 28, 2006 4:26pm
by Rudy D
j
JA
Laminate from PE
Anyone have any experiences with the vinyl laminate from Parts Express? Is it simply contact paper?
Views: 402   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 28, 2006 12:42am
by JA
Help ! crossover problem / no tweeter output
Hello everyone, I just built a center-channel speaker with (2) dayton 6.5's, a Hi-Vi dome mid & Audax tweeter. The bass and mids sound about right but I'm hearing little or no tweeter output (I'm a bit deaf on the topend but I'm not hearing anything at all from th...
Views: 328   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 20, 2006 10:17pm
by Charlie Mimbs
d
dko
Eros MK I Speakers
i need advice regarding the ercommended acoustic foam lining: 1) what size of egg carton shaped foam is recommended (peaks vs valleys); and 2) what density of foam is ercommended for best results...thank you for any replies...dko
Views: 422   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 16, 2006 6:27pm
by D Kelly
DIII non-polar electrolytic
If you are going to spent the time to build these it is worth it to replace the non-polar electrolytic capacitor with the more expensive polypropylene alternative. The capacitors cost about $30 but make a huge difference in the sound quality. I have built both vers...
Views: 303   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 14, 2006 5:10pm
by Clayton
j
jRd
Dayton III's Bi-Amping
Hi guys! I've read a lot on this foum and and other to find answer to my question but I didn't find any answer. Here it is: I am planning to build the Dayton III's project. The amplifier that is going to drive them is a Marantz 2275, 75rms per channel. There is...
Views: 328   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 11, 2006 9:08pm
by Jules Ryckebusch
D27 Veritas
PE sells two models of the D27 (D27TG-05 & D27TG-35). Can someone clue me into which model to use? The driver spec's of each of these models is different and I don't know how that will effect the crossover, speaker, etc. Please have mercy and help out an audio DIY...
Views: 629   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 2, 2006 12:58pm
by ottocycle
j
Jeff F
Dayton2 Question
First let me say thank you for all the great time and effort that has been put into this site. My post is about a pair of Dayton2s I built. I am forced to place them very close to the listening position, and need to back the tweeter down a notch or so. I have trie...
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 27, 2006 6:45pm
by Jeff F
Eros I and II too bright?
I sure wish I knew how to tame the ss 9500's just a bit. After comparing Eros to my new (to me) Magnepan 2.7's I am sure that the Original Eros project is too bright for me. However, taming a tweeter just isn't part of my knowledge. Any suggestions? Thanks in a...
Views: 615   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 26, 2006 12:54pm
by mike
EROS and Subs
Thought I would start a new thread for this... I have been trying to do some research on matching dedicated left and right subs to go with 2-way speakers... Much like the BESLs... Does anybody have any experience/advise on this??? I have seen some comment...
Views: 507   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 23, 2006 12:01pm
by Dan
p
preedy
schematics for DIII HT needed
I just noticed that the shielded version of the driver DAYTON DC160S-8 6-1/2" CLASSIC SHIELDED WOOFER is slightly different than the none shielded version. If any one has ideas for the changes i will need to include for the shielded versions in my this DIII project p...
Views: 307   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 20, 2006 1:00am
by preedy
Eros MKii finished
Hi All, Finished my Eros MKii.Quite happy, but... I find the bass to boomy. Will filling the enclosure with wool solve the boomyness? Final pic 1 Final pic 2 Final pic 3
Views: 1071   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 8, 2006 11:57pm
by Andy
d
DanN
EROS/EROS MKII Cabinet Change Q?
Hi, I'm new to this endeavor (speaker building), but have had a good amount of woodworking experience. I'm very interested in the EROS or EROS MKII design, but would like to possibly alter the box design a bit. It would be more of a vertically tapered tower, wit...
Views: 457   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 8, 2006 11:47pm
by Andy
EROS Tweeter Pod
I have read about all the posts on building the EROS' and had a question(s) that I don't think has been asked... Does the tweeter pod span the entire width of the cabinet (3.75 x 6 x 8) or is the tweeter pod a small "cube" within the cabinet (3.75 x 6 x 6)??? I...
Views: 485   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 8, 2006 11:42pm
by Andy
Modify Veritas for shielding
Hi all, I'd like to build something like the Veritas in design goals. Two woofers 3 way and built for precision sound. BUT! I'd also like shielding as it will be right next to the widescreen tv. How would the Dayton Reference 10" RS270S-8, the Morel MDM-55 and th...
Views: 279   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 2, 2006 5:48pm
by Lance
DBP box help
I am building the DBP for use in a home theater system. I'm not exactly sure what the H-brace inside the box entails. Is it alright to use polyfill inside the box instead of lining with eggcrate foam? Thanks
Views: 212   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 3:26am
by Chaston Scarboro...
d
Dan
Dayton III xover question
The optional parts list for the Dayton III shows .10uF film and foil bypass capacitors. The schematic and description does not tell where these should go. I already have a 47uF cap and .47uF bypass cap wired together. Does the .10uF bypass go with these also???
Views: 310   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 1:16pm
by Dan
Veritas cross over and mid range
I am new at speaker building so pardon me a bit. I am building the Veritas and finished the cross-overs. I have followed the plans exactly. I connected the speakes without a baffle or box to see if the crosses work. They work but what I noticed from both sides is tha...
Views: 288   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 26, 2005 7:36pm
by Lance
Eros questions
I'm toying with the idea of replacing some vintage Infinity RSb's with the Eros and I have a few questions. The RSb's are also 4-ohm boxes so I don't see a problem there. I will be using my Pioneer Elite VS-43TX receiver which has the bi-amp feature. If the...
Views: 561   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 5:20pm
by Paul Lee
1 2 3
Free Forum powered by Bravenet