UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dust On The Nettles: A Journey Through The British Underground Folk Scene 1967-1972

Can't remember of anyone's posted the track lists for this box set already? here it is (again?) anyway. Out June 29th

PM

DISC: 1

1: Let No Man Steal Your Thyme - THE PENTANGLE

2: Willow's Song (From The Wicker Man) - MAGNET

3: Come All You Travellers - WIGHT

4: Love Is A Funny Thing - SPIROGYRA

5: Images Of Passing Clouds - GARY FARR

6: Peek Strangely And Worried Evening - SYNANTHESIA

7: Glass Of Water - BOB & CAROLE PEGG

8: Winter Is Blue - VASHTI BUNYAN

9: Winter Is A Coloured Bird - COMUS

10: The Seagulls Scream - CHRISSIE QUAYLE

11: Stories Of Jesus - CLIVE PALMER

12: Amanda - STEVE PEREGRIN TOOK'S SHAGRAT

13: Curious Crystals Of Unusual Purity - BRIDGET ST. JOHN

14: Roses For Columbus - MARK FRY

15: Till The Morning Comes - DANDO SHAFT

16: Black Girl - MARY-ANNE

17: The Garden Of Jane Delawney - TREES

18: Weirdsong Of Breaking Through At Last - PRINCIPAL EDWARDS MAGIC THEATRE

19: Minas Tirith - OBERON

20: Prisoners, Victims, Strangers, Friends - PAPER BUBBLE

DISC: 2

1: Pilgrim - GERALD MOORE

2: River Lane - MELTON CONSTABLE

3: Way Out Hermit - MOONKYTE

4: All Things Are Quite Silent - STEELEYE SPAN

5: Upon Reflection - HERON

6: Love Is Come Again - PARCHMENT

7: Stargazer - SHELAGH MCDONALD

8: There Are No Greater Heroes - TONY CARO & JOHN

9: Visionary Mountains - JOAN ARMATRADING

10: Glow Of The Firelight - TUESDAY

11: Searching For Lambs - WARM GOLD

12: Samantha Carol Fragments - BENJAMIN DELANEY LION

13: Fotheringay - FAIRPORT CONVENTION

14: You Know What It Has To Be - FROZEN TEAR

15: Meanwhile Back In The Forest - HUNT LUNT & CUNNINGHAM

16: First Girl I Loved - THE INCREDIBLE STRING BAND

17: Halfdan's Daughter - THE MOTHS

18: The Mutant - TRADER HORNE

19: Meeting By Moonlight Mill - DRY HEART

20: Highways (Misty Mist) - TYRANNOSAURUS REX

21: Gabilan - DUNCAN BROWNE

22: Sand All Yellow - KEVIN COYNE

DISC: 3

1: Garden Song - BILL FAY

2: Music Of The Ages - C.O.B.

3: A Song For The System - EVERYONE INVOLVED

4: The Colour Is Blue - COUNTRY SUN

5: Silent Village - WILD COUNTRY

6: Welcome To The Citadel - MARC BRIERLEY

7: The Evil Venus Tree - THE OCCASIONAL WORD

8: Standing On The Shore - ANNE BRIGGS

9: Kind Sir - AGINCOURT

10: Eagle - MICK SOFTLY

11: Rosemary Hill - FRESH MAGGOTS

12: The Happy King - MUSIC BOX

13: Me And My Kite - FUCHSIA

14: Wizard Shep - THE SUN ALSO RISES

15: Scarborough Fair - FOLKAL POINT

16: Prisoner - MARIE CELESTE

17: Patrice - SIMON FINN

18: Girl Of The Cosmos - SHIDE & ACORN

19: Elegy To A Dead King - CHIMERA

20: Silence Returns - BEAU

21: Orange Days And Purple Nights - MOTHER NATURE

Re: Dust On The Nettles: A Journey Through The British Underground Folk Scene 1967-1972

Reading the new Shindig,it states in their that Dave Wells Wooden Hill label is releasing a whole cd of unreleased stuff of a group that features in this fine looking set,Its the group MOTHER NATURE and the cd is going to be titled"Orange Days and Purple Nights",reading the article in Shindig this sounds a must buy.......being released in July sometime!!Give the article a read,just as a taster,making me drool already.............lol

Re: Dust On The Nettles: A Journey Through The British Underground Folk Scene 1967-1972

They already had a CD out a few years ago, under their real moniker, Steepy Rojo, let's see if this one has different material

Hi Gian,heres the liners from the privately released cd of Steepy Rojo!!!!Sounds interesting and still for sale on Amazon at over a fiver!!

1. Shang-a-Lang-a-Bang
2. Dreamclouds
3. My Yesterdays
4. All You Dreamers
5. My Friend Says
6. Where Were You
7. Games
8. Laugh (I Almost Sang a Song)
9. Love Keeps On Shining
10. B. Peep and The Electric Sheep
11. Blue Skies, Blue Mountains
12. I Believe In You
13. Take Me High
14. Wishing Well
15. Clipper
Recording Date: 1968-1972
Group Members: Jon Reeves (gtr, vocs), Rod Copping (gtr, mandolin, vocs), Steve Norchi (vocs, bass gtr, kbds), Pete Reynolds (vocs, drums, kbds), Dave Gaylor (drums), Derik Timms (gtr), Dave Janes (gtr), Charlie Morgan (drums), Barney James (drums).
Additional Info: Tracks 1 and 5 recorded at Trident studios.
Steepy Rojo originated in the mid-sixties as Tawny Teed and The Heatwave. Steve Norchi, Steve Hammond, Derek Weaver backed singer (and original manager of singer, Tom Jones) Tawny Reed. Weaver left to join Amen Corner, Hammond joined Humphrey Lyttleton and Norchi joined another local band, Dream Machine in 1967. Dream Machine consisted of Jon Reeves on guitar, Paul Hobbs (drums) and Ian ’Knox’ Carnochan. Carnochan had reviously fronted a local R&B/Blues act called Knox and The Nightriders. Over time and after several outlandish gigs, Dream Machine folded with Carnochan eventually forming his own band again, re-appearing in 1973 with Despair (see entry) and eventually in the punk era fronting The Vibrators. Jon Reeves and Steve Norchi were joined by Pete Reynolds on drums and Rod Copping on guitars and mandolin and this group became Steepy Rojo. The band were eventually offered a record deal, but as part of the deal they had to decide on another name and they opted for Mother Nature. As Mother Nature, they recorded two singles for B&C records and latterly, Kingdom. Jon Reeves later quit the band and was replaced by Derik Timms (Peanut Rubble – see entry) and Dave Janes on guitars. Pete Reynolds was occasionally replaced by Barney James on drums for some recordings. James also appeared as an actor in films such as Jubilee and Sebastiane directed by Derek Jarman. Steepy Rojo eventually split in 1973 with Steve Norchi joining Steve Darrington, Ron Watts and Mark Knopfler in Brewers Droop before re-joining Derik Timms in Homegrown. The songs recorded as singles under the name of Mother Nature were recorded at Central Sound studios and Trident studios in London. The numerous demo recordings that remained unreleased were recorded at a small demo studio or like the majority of them, at Jon Reeves or Rod Copping’s house.
Notes taken from Record Fun and Steepy Rojo – Far Over and Booby Gravy retrospective CD.

Very strange, The Steepy Rojo CD I own (from 2004), always titled "far over..." has 18 tracks:

1. Orange Days...
2. Once there was a time
3. Shang-a-Lang-a-Bang
4. Dreamclouds/My Yesterdays
5. All You Dreamers
6. My Friend Says
7. Where Were You
8. Games
9. Laugh (I Almost Sang a Song)
10. Love Keeps On Shining
11. B. Peep and The Electric Sheep
12. Clear blue skies
13. Blue Skies, Blue Mountains
14. I Believe In You
15. Take Me High
16. Hey Hey José
17. Wishing Well
18. Clipper

it includes the Mother Nature singles but one track. Anyway on my Digging Underground (the book that never was ) files, I found about an unreleased Kingdom label French only lp (KV 5002 ? never seen)... so maybe ...

I don't think the Kingdom LP was ever released was it? Didn't the label go under or whatever before it could come out? I have one of the two Steepy Rojo discs listed above but don't know which off hand, I'll have to dig it out, I've not playd in a long time. I think the one I have was being sold by one of the former band members, in fact I think I got two copies at the time and passed one on. I seem to recall liking it but not finding anything that really stands out. There again I do have the French picture sleeve issue of the Mother Nature 45 'Orange Days and Purple Nights' and I like that a lot.

PM

Having just checked my catalogue (though not, my CD shelves)I find I made this entry for it when I first got it:

Steepy Rojo (UK) – Far Over And Booby Gravy (1968-73, SFA fave!)

So there must be something in an SFA issue on it. In fact, there's a cataloguing project that needs doing - all the articles in the 40+ issues of SFA, what are they and which issue did they appear in etc.. Oh dear, have I just landed myself with that one as well?! That should at least stop the vagueness of recollection in RZ posts that goes 'there was something about this in an issue of SFA..'

PM

there were some good songs on that comp., like the instrumental Dreamclouds, Games, Blue Skies..., Hey Jose', Wishing Well, even if most of them were studio/home demos. Now I'm very curious to know about the forthcoming CD, hoping it's really an unreleased album an not a reprint of this one

PS: on the insert notes they says "Orange days" was written back in '68!

Hi guys,Heres some more info on the Mother Nature cd being released on Dave Wells Wooden Hill label,i hope this answers a few questions:

Responsible for a pair of obscure but exquisite early 1970s baroque pop/psych/folk singles, Buckinghamshire-based quartet Mother Nature – who also feature on the newly-issued, definitive box set of British hippie underground folk Dust On The Nettles - also recorded a clutch of home and studio demos in a similar vein during their 1968-72 existence. Orange Days And Purple Nights features the best of these recordings together with all four single sides and the original, previously-unheard acoustic demo of the beatific, era-defining title song.

· Definitive anthology of a British band whose two early 1970s singles are highly regarded by admirers of the baroque pop/folk/psych sound

· Includes the title song ‘Orange Days And Purple Nights’, which also appears on Dust On The Nettles, the definitive new box set of the late 60s/early 70s British hippie folk underground scene

· 12 of the 24 tracks are previously unreleased

· Feature article on the band in the latest edition of Shindig! magazine

· 12-page booklet that tells the band’s full story, and includes some priceless vintage photos.

1.Orange Days And Purple Nights (stereo A-side)2.Where Did She Go (stereo B-side)3.My Yesterdays (alternative mix)4.Green And Brown 5.Games (version 1)6.My Friend Says (alternative mix)7.All You Dreamers 8.Love Keeps Shining Through 9.Laugh (I Almost Sang A Song) (alternative stereo mix)10.Dreamclouds (complete stereo take)11.Once There Was A Time (stereo A-side)12.Clear Blue Sky (stereo B-side)13.Take Me High 14.Where Were You?15.Blue Skies, Blue Mountains 16.Clipper 17.Games (version 2)18.Wishing Well 19.It's Alright My Friend
Bonus tracks

20.Sad-Eyed Ann 21.Mister Pigeon 22.Land Of Pan 23.Puppet King 23.Orange Days And Purple Nights (original acoustic demo)

stuart robertson
Hi guys,Heres some more info on the Mother Nature cd being released on Dave Wells Wooden Hill label,i hope this answers a few questions:

Responsible for a pair of obscure but exquisite early 1970s baroque pop/psych/folk singles, Buckinghamshire-based quartet Mother Nature – who also feature on the newly-issued, definitive box set of British hippie underground folk Dust On The Nettles - also recorded a clutch of home and studio demos in a similar vein during their 1968-72 existence. Orange Days And Purple Nights features the best of these recordings together with all four single sides and the original, previously-unheard acoustic demo of the beatific, era-defining title song.

· Definitive anthology of a British band whose two early 1970s singles are highly regarded by admirers of the baroque pop/folk/psych sound

· Includes the title song ‘Orange Days And Purple Nights’, which also appears on Dust On The Nettles, the definitive new box set of the late 60s/early 70s British hippie folk underground scene

· 12 of the 24 tracks are previously unreleased

· Feature article on the band in the latest edition of Shindig! magazine

· 12-page booklet that tells the band’s full story, and includes some priceless vintage photos.

1.Orange Days And Purple Nights (stereo A-side)2.Where Did She Go (stereo B-side)3.My Yesterdays (alternative mix)4.Green And Brown 5.Games (version 1)6.My Friend Says (alternative mix)7.All You Dreamers 8.Love Keeps Shining Through 9.Laugh (I Almost Sang A Song) (alternative stereo mix)10.Dreamclouds (complete stereo take)11.Once There Was A Time (stereo A-side)12.Clear Blue Sky (stereo B-side)13.Take Me High 14.Where Were You?15.Blue Skies, Blue Mountains 16.Clipper 17.Games (version 2)18.Wishing Well 19.It's Alright My Friend
Bonus tracks

20.Sad-Eyed Ann 21.Mister Pigeon 22.Land Of Pan 23.Puppet King 23.Orange Days And Purple Nights (original acoustic demo)

Thanks Stuart, I'm in for sure

This just landed through the door and what a cracking little package with cracking music ......very pleased i got this,tho one minor quibble,ive not got the greatest eyesight so the writing is pretty small so get your specs on....but its a winner!!

Got my Dust too I knew most of the titles but it's a good effort anyway and great news to hear there are more recordings maybe available in the future from Tuesday, Gerald Moore, Frozen Tear and Paper Bubble... fingers crossed!

By the way, what happened to the announced Mother Nature comp.? Not available from Amazon...

Got my copy of Mother Nature from Nick at Heyday.

http://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/mother-nature-/-orange-days-cd.html

Andy C
Got my copy of Mother Nature from Nick at Heyday.

http://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/mother-nature-/-orange-days-cd.html

So it's available, great, many thanks

funny. just reading about this last night. by the way anyone heard from stuart lately.

Yes, where are you Stuart? Maybe all that cd buying instead of food wasn't such a good idea.

Anyone need any questions answered? Steepy Rojo is my fathers old band and I love that people are talking about it! even if two years ago XD