Return to Website

Fleetwood.Web

A place to find old friends, and make new ones.

Forum: Fleetwood.Web
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: the "george agdell" circa 1930

Dave,

You need to contact my dad your 'Uncle Herbert' 01253 891344.
Both my grandad's were good mates, that'how my mum and dad met. Grandad Ronson at the time he drowned was working at the amunition factory at Burn Naze and they had been put on a three day week.
He asked my other Grandad 'Titch' Norton woud he take fireman, Titch told me Grandad John had worked most of his working life farming and he felt that trawling was not a job he would wish on ahis worst enemy and woul not take to sea.
This decision he regretted the rest of his life, Grandad John went to pool office and signed on the George Adgell as a fireman
He drowned eight hours into the trip emptying ashesfrom a fire bucket over the side. It 's persumed that the ship pitched and rolled he lost his footing let go of the bucket and it caught on his vest and dragged him overboard.
Grandad Titch told me all that was found was his boots, the tradition was that they left thre lacies out in cause they fell overboard and they could kick the boots off.
The skipper and crew searched for grandad unfortunately nothing was found.
Just a quick postscript I have oly once fished the ground were grandad was drowned (2nd Engineer in the London Town) we came fast lost all our gear.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com