One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 16H Speedo Gearbox Dismantling

Hello Greg,

Those gearboxes were never meant to be dismantled.
Its likely you will damage something when trying.
The more sure but very slow way is to rinse the grease out with a solvent.

If it does turn, you could use a hand drill to rotate (not to fast)and add and replenish solvent at the same time. With perseverance and patience you will get your result. If it turns easy you can start pressing new grease into it.
Maybe you will not get all the old grease out but you likely get new grease in the places where is does matter, the rotating parts.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello, I dismantled one years ago quite successfully, but perhaps I was lucky ? From memory there was a split pin across the bottom of one of the blanking plugs as a retainer, which I removed. You will never remove the pressed in blanking plugs from the outside without gouging with some sort of tool which will damage the blanking plug or the housing. What I did was use a drift on the spindle at the opposite end of the shaft from the blanking plug. By carefully tapping the shaft you use it as an "internal" drift within the housing to drive the blanking plug out. This is done to both shafts to remove both plugs. The only connection between the shafts is the meshing of the teeth, so as long as the can rotate they should pass each other without causing damage. When reassembling be careful not to drive the blanking plugs in too far as they will nip the shafts up tight. I tapped my blanking plugs in checking for end float on the shafts and stopped whilst there was still a small amount left.

PS, this worked for me, but as always proceed with care and if you break it don't blame me !!.

Hello Malcolm

You are correct. The lid under the spindle driving the speedo can be removed as you say. The spindle coming from the geardrive is a bit different. That cap, containing the grese nipple cannot be removed without damageing the housing.
I guess with the first one removed you should be able to clean most of the old gunk out, and finish it off with solvent.
You would probably not really need to remove the grease nippel cap.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks to you both, the old grease has been cleaned out. I tapped out the cable drive spindle, which allowed access to the innards. All cleaned and regreased. Really appreciated the advice!