Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

Dutch army, Johan Herman Fuhler, somewhere between 1945 and 1950

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big 4 links fitted to front fork

Hi All
Can anybody help me. I am restoring a prewar Norton which was fitted with a sidecar and the front forks are set up to give a reduced trail for the sidecar. I am interested how this is achieved. I noticed on this site that the normal 16H top links are pt. nos.3191 & 2 same as those quoted in the civilian parts list from 1933/4. The W.D.Big 4 the top links are part nos 2259 & 2260 are these dimensionally different ?. I would have thought the distance between the spindles on the Big 4 should be less in order to reduce the amount of trail for sidecar work. I can find no record for Norton listing alternative links to modify the trail for sidecar work, other than those listed in the W.D. Big 4 parts list on this great website. Can anybody confirm the spindle centres for both of the top links mentioned. For I believe my bike was fitted post war with top links of a W.D.Big 4 to give the sidecar trail.
Many Thanks

Steve L

Re: Big 4 links fitted to front fork

Hello Steve

I am sorry to say I can not (yet) tell you the difference.
You are correct in your finding that only for the military B4 there is a different spare part number.
Civilian bikes all had the same spare parts numbers.

I have not come around to finding all the differences between the B4 and 16H but will do in future.

I hope to be able to get the dimensions soon and will let you know if still needed.

cheers,

Rob

Re: Big 4 links fitted to front fork

Steve,

I have had a discussion with Lex Schmidt about it and he told me that a search he did with other B4 owners did not lead to a positive identification of differences between actual parts.
It is therefore believed that despite the spare part number difference there is no proven difference in the actual parts.

Search continues,

Cheers,

Rob