Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big 4 tool box

I see on the net for sale 16H /Big 4 tool boxes for sale. One type has a chain and instruction booklet holder on the lid, the other does not. My WWBig 4 outfit was made in 1939. Which tool box is the correct one or am I too fussy.

Re: Big 4 tool box

One can't be too fussy when dealing with historic Nortons, George !

For 1939, the WD models were still being fitted with a deeper version of the civilian tool box, with a lock and key (in this case an 'economy' lock rather than that fitted to civilian models).

Mine has no trace of a document holder or chain. There were certainly at least two types of box with the screw thread closure. Initially they were made of three sections and later of two deeper pressings. It may be that there was a change relating to the interior details but I have an idea that originals generally did have those features.

The pattern boxes are generally welded along the edges rather than pressings but can be made to look fairly good. I don't remember when I last saw an early WD box with lock for sale.

Thanks Rik, I'll soldier one with the box I have following your advice. The situation was that I purchased on line one from India with the chain and manual holder after a Norton mates '( non military)advice on which one to get, But I was sent one that was not the same as the pictured. Funnny that. I had only just been wondering how long I'd get into the restoration process before this sort of thing would happen when buying on the net.

My 1937 civilian bike has no holder for handbook in its civilian toolbox and no chain but (unlike the rest of the bike) the PO took it off and repainted it - losing the original suitcase-type lock in the process.

I do have a military bike rider's handbook (with owner's name) so if you are interested I could measure it and you can say if it would fit whatever holder you have. It's a small black card covered booklet with all the servicing information.

This is what my original one looks like inside.

photo 16H2013031_zps63f1099f.jpg

My original one is the same as Horror's and I believe it to be 1943

Thanks David for the offer but I won't worry about it.Much appreciated.

Thanks Horror, Nice photo, looks like the one I bought and didn't get. Thanks fellas for the replies , it all helps . I'm on the right path now.

Have an Original 2 piece one for sale, email me for pictures, replace the "sameagain" for the word before.

Cheers,

Lex