Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lucas magdyno overhaul

The magneto place I use charge £100 to just rewind the armature and I rebuild the mag myself. Or about £150 to rewind and rebuild a mag plus parts.

thx for your replies.
the invoice i had to pay was for the mag overhaul only. it did not include any mounting efforts at the bike. removing and installation of the mag at the bike was performed by myself.
as far as i remember, cost for mag overhaul in germany are quite high. maybe this is because there are only some few experts who are familiar with the technology. i dont know and actually i dont really care. as long as there are experienced craftmen available to help us running our old thumpers i am happy to pay what they ask for.

With the GBP as high as it is, €600 is 'only' £460. Did it include the dynamo as well ?

Any magneto rebuild in the UK would be dependent on a decent donor unit. If there was little usable then the price would increase.

There is no doubt though that a lack of competition in Europe leads to higher prices, combined with the fact that Germans in particular seem to prefer working from pristine premises and the best English work is usually done in a tumble-down shed...