Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sidecar chassis B4

Henri, motorcycle frame and engine numbers were always in the same position. I assume they were consistent for the sidecar frames as well but as the B4s were finally assembled in the former racing department, it may have been less strict for the sidecar frames. Website position has mostly delivered the number . If it is not there you will have to look elswhere. I would start with scrutiny of the entire front tube. If there is no number to be found, history is blank. Norton will not be giving any answers anymore.:-)

Cheers

Thank goodness you still do

Hi Henri, check it under the right front leaf spring.....;-)

Regards, Sven

Yep Sven, that is where it was.

S2499

I sent photos to Rob by direct email, slight issue with transferring photos to my desktop.

Was removing U bolt for cleaning when numbers popped on the flat.

Seek and ye shall find

Well chaps, it's not that easy! the number under the spring is the sidecar number, before it was "married" to the bike, so more an internal factory number, like was used on 16H frames, before they got their frame number.

The number that was put in the sidecar frame, after it was attached to the bike was as pictured on the website here, the front attaching lug, sometimes several numbers can be found there, it was matching the frame number of the bike, when it left the factory.

Then there is the sidecar bodynumber plate, and that was inside the locker, on a stamped metal plate, I believe this was the same number as on the frame under the spring, but have no evidence, had some of these plates made for various B4 owners last year, look very nice, will post pictures later.

Cheers,

Lex

Here's the sidecar body plates, 2 originals, and two of my replica's, I researched SS (Swallow Sidecars) Cars, later known as Jaguar, and they had the same body plates on their cars, prewar.

Can have another run made, if a minimum of 5 people apply.

Cheers,

Lex