Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tool for transmission adjustment

in order to adjust primary chain tension the transmission has to be moved in the frame. i am looking for an appropriate tool for the large hex nut of the transmission adjuster on top of the tranny. could you provide any recommendations or advice?

Re: tool for transmission adjustment

Hello Martin,

There was a special cranked open ended spanner for it in the Norton Tool kit (see website https://www.wdnorton.nl/tools.htm) but it is also awkward to use so I hardly ever used it.
I usually use a normal ring spanner and a bit of patience.
Wait with drinking beer until its done :grinning:
Its handy to remove the battery (not the holder) to give a little more space.

Nortons are not the example for easy maintenance, but that is part of the fun.

Cheers,

Rob

thanks a lot for you support, rob!

one question regarding the (original) position of the hex nut. is it originally located on the left side (close to the primary / clutch) or on the right side?
my bike has it on the right side ..

Hello Martin.

The nut was originally at the left hand side of the machine behind the primary chain case/clutch.
Hence my remark that it helps to remove the battery for more space. It is not absolutely necessary to do but it helps.

When mounting the bolt, you have to put the gear shift lever in 4th gear and push the lever down to fiddle the bolt behind the dolls head. Its a tight fit and the gear change mechanism may be in the way.

Maybe superflouos but when assembling a motorcycle you should mount the bolt from the right hand side and the nuts behind the inner primary chain case at the left.
If you do them the other way around you have to remove the primary chain case if you want to remove the Magdyno. This latter option has led to some strong negative remarks in the past.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks a lot, Rob.
When I had to put the mangeto off the bike some years ago, I realised that it would be very helpful if the bolt were put in from the right side.
Now the set up is correct, nut on the left, bolt to be pulled out to the right.