One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No charging of the battery

Hello Martin,

It is unlikely that you need to do anything special to the dynamo.
It may be more a question of corroded contacts or such.
The dynamo needs just a very weak remanent magnetism to start up and if it worked 6 months ago it should do so now as well.
The Instruction and Maintenance manual gives some guidance on how to test your dynamo.
If that is OK you have to look for other options in the circuit and voltage regulator.
If it an electronic unit it can hardly be anything other than a bad contact somewhere.

The electrical system is fairly simple but can be a bit puzzling if electronics is not your "thing".

Cheers,

Rob

HI Rob,
thx for your message. After having read the respective paragraph in the manual I decided to try it again. I removed the cover of the regulator and started the engine. At low idle revving of the engine there was no "action" visible of the regulator. But if the engine revs higher suddenly one of the switches of the coils closed a circuit and the amperemeter indicated charging.
So I expect that the charging system will work under running conditions as it did the years before.

Unfortunately when I was taught physics at school I wasn`t aware of the relevance of this subject for my later life ;-)

No computer system on a WD16H so the basic learned at school should be sufficient!

Cheers,

Rob