Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1950 "Big 4" going for a land speed record ??

Hello from South Texas!

This forum has been a great help in gaining knowledge in these old Nortons. Thank you all that contribute. I have already downloaded and printed off the manuals that are linked here. Thanks.

Yes, you read that right, I am building a 1950 Big 4 (596cc) to run at the Bonneville Salt Flats this August. This is the first Brit bike I have owned and I know nothing about them other than I need to buy some different tools and this engine is like a large Briggs and Stratton to me.

This will be the third year racing at the flats. Usually I run a 99cc Kawasaki based "lay down" bike however this year I am wanting to try an older bike. I'm sure most of you would agree that a Big 4 would be one of the last bikes to use for a speed record however, this is the only bike I own that is old enough to run in the Vintage class.

If any of you have any information, experience, or just some comments that you want to throw my way, please do. I will continue to post my updates here. I will be filming the entire adventure from start to finish so all of you can follow along.

Will also be making an updated page on my website (www.motorcyclesandart.com) of what parts are needed and information that I am looking for. Maybe you all can help me when and where you can. Once again, I know nothing about these old Brit bikes as I am a two stroke guy.

LINK TO FIRST VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4-D0TV-fY

Have a RAD day! -- Casey