RKKA Web Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

Please, specify more the region of this operation.
Note, that I'm not very good informed about german abbreviations. What means III/LSSAH?

Re: Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

III/LSSAH =
3rd Battalion/1.SS Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler.

Sokolow - Ukraine. I believe it is in the vicinity of Kiev??

Re: Re: Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

Hm... Never heard about this town and didn't found this in my encyclopedia... Will try to check my Kiev region's maps... If it's really this region, I have some materials....

Re: Re: Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

I've found this town! It's near Novograd-Volynsky. It can be called a settlement! I have some information about this battle. It was one from the serie of the counter-attacks of the Soviet 5th Army. They took place in July 10-14 and are called here counter-attacks on Novograd-Volynsky direction.
I found that it was 22th Mechinised corps (Gen. -Major V.S. Tamruchi) who fought against SS division "Adolf Hitler". That time it was very weakend If on Jul. 07 it had 340 tanks, on July 15 it had only 30 tanks: 2 BT, 28 T-26 and 17 armored cars. On the beginning ot the counter-attack (Jul 10) all three Soviet mechinised corps (9,19,22) had together 130 tanks. It's very hard to say what concrete formation of 22nd corps fought against "AH". My sources told me that 19th Tank division of 22th Mech. corps fought vis. 25th Mot. Div. and 113th Rfl. Div. and 41th Tank Div. vis. 25th Mot. Div. and 113th Rfl. Div. and SS "AH" div. No information about 215th Mot. Rfl. Div.
The matter is that in this period soviet recon was very poor and there are almost no information about German troops that opposed Soviet troops.
The other difficulty consists in that fact that there are no data on composition of the troops of the 22nd Mech Corps specified on this period. It's not true to say that they had full strength. In the best case 22nd Corps was equal to rifle division somewhat inforced by tanks.
I have map of the battle of 5th Army from July, 15. Battle of July 10-14 period existes, but is unavailable yet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

Absolutely outstanding. This will do very nicely and your effort is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Frank

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Identification on Soviet Units - Sokolow Counterattack

I have a full structure of the 22th mech corps with some names of commanders and equipment on June 22.

In the future (even maybe nearest one) I make the page of this corps. Also I may translate the map of this battle from July, 15 soon. But it's scaled to the whole 5th Army and formations of the 22th Mech Corps is not detilized there.