Return to Website

Beatlegirl's Web Board

Devoted to discussion of all things Beatles...

Beatlegirl's Web Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: What is the Walrus?

this tune has confused so many ppl. to read sum about it, read 'in my life' and 'the lives of john lennon. it explains alot about it. when i first heard it my, head was just spinning in circles

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I found this in a beatles' website. Hope it helps you. I love that song too.

A great song by Lennon, and those of us who admire him greatly, rate this as one of his best. This disjointed song was written from an amalgamation of at least three other songs he was working on at the time, but which he thought were not good enough on their own. Many of the images were taken from actual events, such as the policemen, which came about when he heard their car sirens one day, and he tried to copy the rhythm of the sirens, and was originally one of these unfinished songs. The second song was a pastoral melody created at his Weybridge home garden, and the third was a nonsense song about sitting on a corn flake (he liked ®Kellogg's Corn Flakes). However, much of this song is made up of nonsensical images and words invented by Lennon, such as semolina pilchards, elementary penguins, texport, crabalocker, etc. One of his inspirations for these ludicrous images was Bob Dylan. Lennon believed that Dylan got away with murder in some of his lyrics, so as Lennon explained it in later years said "I can write this crap, too." The only lyric in the song where Lennon was serious is the first line, where he describes his belief in unity of all things. Lennon invented the line 'elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna' as a jibe at Allen Ginsberg who chanted Hare Krishna at public rallies, and the walrus came from the Lewis Carroll poem, The Walrus and The Carpenter."

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am fanatacal about I am The Walrus. I know all the Beatles books say that the Walrus was inspired by the Lewis Carrol poem 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' amongst other things but I'm very intrested to hear other listeners interpertation of the Lennon classis and what the Walrus means to them.

Long Live the Walrus