Hasbrouck Heights High School

Classes of 54 & 55

Hasbrouck Heights High School
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More from Shai

Just received this and knew you would be interested.
hi everyone,

this is my 2nd update from the "war zone". i'm in the north, about 6 miles from the closest city of tiberias & about 10 miles south of safad. most of the missiles seem to be shot at haifa which is to the west of us about 35 miles on the shores of the mediterrean. from what i can gather the missiles they're sending as a "present" to us have no internal guidance sysyem so they quickly point them in the proper direction & send them off. consequently they're not very accurate & most of them fall into the sea or the open areas around the cities. so, at ginosar we've been fortunate so far & nothing has landed here. they're landed in tiberias & the area but probably the closest has been 4-5 miles away.

i do hear the air raid sirens go off occasionally from tiberias or safad & i do hear booms, mainly from the north, sometimes quite loud. its hard to tell if the booms are incoming or our outgoing stuff, either artillery or air bombardment. talking to my friend edyth (from the library) in safad, she says that most of the booms in safad, where she lives & has remained, is stuff landing outside the city. i'm hearing booming right now from the north; it's about 12 noon.

so, we feel safe here, but we're vigilant & we're ready to go to the bomb shelter if necessary. i have the entrance to a bomb shelter about 30 feet from our front door, so its just a hop & skip for me if necassary.

pretty much we're staying around home & only travelling if necessary. i was in tiberias the other day to arrange for our car's license & insurance. many, many of the businesses are not open & there's an air of quietness that's prevelant. i'm planning to stay safe until this is over; hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

i feel sorry for the poor lebanese who are really "getting it". from what i see on the tv it appears that most of the southern part of the country is destroyed. i especially grieve for our soldiers & their families. every time 1 of them is wounded or killed my heart is a little broken. how do you console a mother whose 19 or 20 year old son has been killed in action ????? impossible.

that's all for now. peace to all.

shai