Return to Website

Vocalist Forum
Message Board

This Forum is CLOSING!! You may READ the messages but no longer POST messages. Please go to Singing Teachers and use the new forum provided to post messages.

Vocalist Forum
Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Huhh . . .

Hey , What is Speech Level Singing & whats the diff

Re: Huhh . . .

Hi Alex

I don't do SLS but you can look up its founder, Seth Riggs, on the web and there is a book that he wrote that I have yet to buy and read, but I will do so some time soon.

Like most singing things, people seem to either love it or hate it, and I'm not sure which of those I am as I haven't read the book, but I think that 'methods' can sometimes be misleading, in that someone gets hold of an idea and it's central to their philosophy, and they build a method around it and get people to endorse it.

I use the Estill model because it's a model of how the voice works. It's not a method. It's not perfect either, but the best thing I have in my voice teaching tool box to date.

Speech Level Singing is not long established in the UK as far as I can gather, but has a large number of adherents in the US. The US vocalist website has a number of threads about it.

I guess there is no one way to sing, and dealing with the whole person requires teachers to have a wide variety of resources at their fingertips. If SLS does that for teachers and students it can't be bad.

I think there is probably a conflict between SLS and the way I teach with regard to the height of the larynx and the music theatre sound itself. But conflict leads to resolution - and that can't be bad either.

Regards
Agnes