Return to Website

Vocalist Forum
Message Board

This Forum is CLOSING!! You may READ the messages but no longer POST messages. Please go to Singing Teachers and use the new forum provided to post messages.

Vocalist Forum
Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: stage presence - can you buy it in bottles?

Hi there

I think it takes practice, and a bit of confidence. When I played my first gig as a guitarist/singer, I was terrified and nervous as anything. Looked like a wooden cut-out....

As I did more and more and cut out the singing (which I'm not that good at), I began to relax more, and actually enjoy being there. That shows in your face, and grows your confidence, which then improves your presence.

Hope that helps! What area are you in?

John

Hi there!
I read your post and my advice to you would be to relax. Walk tall and important - that way the audience will feel that you mean business and they're more likely to give you their undevided attention. Smile and adopt the most open body postures you can think of. That way you won't come across as uptight, even if you are really shaking like a leaf! Perhaps you might like to try relaxation/breathing techniques just before you go on stage.
Most importantly: ENJOY yourself!!!!! You know you're good at what you're doing, so even if the odd person in your audience doesn't appreciate what you do, well, they probably haven't washed their ears in a while and shouldn't even be there!
Good luck!!!!
Jan

Thanks for your comments, I will try to bear them in mind the next time I perform. As for your question, John, what do you mean by area - type of music or geographical location? If you mean the first, well it's a mixture of pop, rock, folk, jazz and classical, and if you mean the second, southern Sweden is your answer.

Another question to you all - what do you talk about on stage in between songs? I know you should keep it short and all that but I really am so nervous and whatever I say comes out sounding incredibly boring. Any tips?

Anmari

You worry too much, that's why

I am the drummer / sineger of the Cover-Ups. Jan gave you fantastic advice. Follow those and another thing. Relax mate. It's not the end of the world even if you are not the best of the best. It seems to me that you care waaaaaaay too much as to what impression you leave to people. If you stop thinking like that, you will relax and enjoy. And people will like that and will respond. Never had any lessons and crap like that. but I believe in what I am doing and that's why people love my "singing" and playing and of course the band. But I go out to enjoy myself and kick ass. So think along these lines. "I will kick eveyone's ass today"