Sports Therapy Forum

Welcome to our Forum

Active Health Sports Therapy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ultra Marathon 40, 70 and 105 miles July 13th 2012 Grimsthorpe , Lincs

Hi everyone,

Last year I assisted at the above event with the great assistance of Mark Taylor MSTO and we had a great time helping these ultra athletes achieve their extreme personal goals.

I worked constantly for around 21 hours and this year I woud like to take a small team of therapists and students to work at this event.

STO will offer a years free membership and an official event specific STO T-shirt in return. I will ensure you can use ths experience for case studies. For anyone travelling by train I will provide transport to and fron the local train station.
We will have a main tented area in which to work, I will supply a couple of tables and all consumables but need a few pairs of hands to be able to offer cover for the whole 26 hours. There will be an opportunity to provide mobile assitance by 4 wheel drive vehicle around the 10 mile multi terrain course.I found the event extrmely well run, the Fatfeet staff were very helpful and provided meals and drinks, there is ample parking and a sleeping area in which you can have a snooze

The details can be found by googling fatfeet.co.uk/grimsthorpe-ultra hope to see you there
many thanks to you all

you can follow me on twitter @sportinjurygary now that I have moved into the 21st century

Re: Ultra Marathon 40, 70 and 105 miles July 13th 2012 Grimsthorpe , Lincs

got a couple of volunteers, could do with a couple more, Im willing to act as mentor to newly qualified therapists if it helps
regards
Gary

Are you still looking for therapist? I could trawl my cohort of students. We can chat about it next time we meet.

Cheers

Stewart
Lincoln College

I wanted to do this last year and would have deff signed up this year if it weren't for the small matter of an Ironman to complete 24 hours later!

Next year Gary I promise :)

Thanks Sam,
Thanks Stewart, I ve got a small team organised but always looking for more help,
speak soon
regards
Gary

last call for potential therapists, details being emailed in mid june, regards
Gary

details on here tomorrow

http://www.fat-feet.co.uk/running-events/index.php/category/events/

http://www.grimsthorpe.co.uk/index.php?ID=1

here are the details for the GRIM REAPER, 13th July-14th July, 26 hour time limit.

I'm looking to provide medical cover to run along side the ambulance that is in attendance, we provide pre,post and inter event treatment and leave the boring stuff to St Johns Ambulance.

Ideally there would be 2 or 3 people in attendance at all hours, the main gate is locked in the evening so anyone wanting to do a night shift, would be there al night, Im doing the full shift, and acting as mentor to those completing case study hours, I will sign off as many hours as you are there.
I guarantee a wide range of injuries and presenting conditions so the experience will be great.

Volunteers will be rewarded with STO event T shirt and event running vest.

please confirm names on this thread ASAP, those attending the start at 9am will need to be in main car park by 8am, a short briefing takes place at 0830 and Im running a kinesio taping session from 0730hrs.

all cars have to be left in car park and a short 400m walk to the main control tent where we will be based.

there will be an opportunity to provide cycle support and travel the route in 4x4, some marshalling duties are also undertaken if needed, food/drink is provided throughout the day.

look forward to seeing some of you there
regards
Gary

PS have a look at their other events

final call for all intersted therapists to assist at the Fatfeet Blisters Grim Reaper www.fat-feet.co.uk/​running-events/index.php/​events/125 , Ill be finalising your preferred shifts at the weekend so please message me with your wish list, 8am on the 13th until approx 11am o the 14th.
many thanks Guys and Gals

many thanks to Dave Camm MSTO, New STO member TOm Lane and Rob Davies MSTO for there sterling efforts in keeping over 100 ultra athletes on their quest for either 40, 70 or 100 miles, despite the best efforts of the British Summer many athletes completed their goals,
Special thanks to Rob for holding the fort single handedly from 11pm as I tackled the course in the dark providing support on route, during which I dislocated my shoulder and had to desert him, it is the attitude ROb demonstrated that will make him a great therapist.
the STO team recieved great feedback and many athletes have contacted me personally to offer thier individual thanks, as have the organisers www.fatfeet.co.uk

The STO events team has gone from strength to strength since its inception at the Bingham cup in Manchester, having assited at the OUTLAW ironman and now the Grim Reaper, we have been contacted by a major events company expressing a wish to work more closely with STO members, so watch this space

regards
Gary