Sports Therapy Forum

Welcome to our Forum

Active Health Sports Therapy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lack of Sports Therapy jobs, full and part time

Hi all,

I've been working for myself as a Sports Therapist since 2008 (when I graduated). Have been working for Rugby clubs ever since and full enjoy what I do, in fact I wouldn't change my job for anything...apart from it being full time!

I have decided to seek a stable job rather than continue working self-employed. I have found it increasingly difficult over the past few months to find one which recognises Sports Therapy.

Is anyone else finding this really hard? All I find is freelance work, many employers requesting HPC registration (When do Sports Therapists get theirs Mr Graham Smith?), and CSP.

I am finding it increasingly frustrating. Currently exploring other avenues to develop my career, like the NHS Physiotherapy degree, physio assistant jobs etc.

Re: Lack of Sports Therapy jobs, full and part time

Hi, when you say graduate do you mean from the BSc in Sports Therapy?

Have you raised your concerns with your professional association?

Unfortunately you are not the first BSc grad sports therapist to either feel like this, or feel the need to go into physiotherapy.

It is a shame, as sports therapy is such a great industry, but it has been badly let down by certain organisations.

It is a shame that there have been so many promised statutory regulation, or lots of work in elite sport, when in fact, stat regs arent happening, and we have known this for years, and jobs in elite sports go to physios, many of whom are not trained to work in sport or with sports injuries, or people who know people in sport, or work their way up.

As a commercial enterprise, I always give my students and potential students real advice on what they can expect, and it must be right, because month after month we get referalls from graduates who are happily working once they qualify.

Its a shame that your professional association doesnt have a forum, as from the emails I get each day, there are lots and lots of disgruntled members and ex members!

Why dont you ask your PA what it is doing about the lack of opportunities in professional sport? Why is professional sport only looking for physiotherapists? What is the ratio of physiotherapists to sports therapists running your PA? Maybe thats the answer?

I know what STO is doing to ensure there are opportunities for sports therapists, and I am darned sure that it isnt by getting them into unpaid internships for a year!

It would be a shame for the industry to lose another graduate sports therapist, but unfortunately it is the norm and not the exception nowadays. I pity those spending upwards of £30k on a sports therapy degree, as chances are, they won't stay in the profession either.

It has always been a vocational industry, and it seems that its going back to that, at last!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your post.

Yes I graduated in BSc Sports Therapy at Uni of Kent.

It is a shame. I remember Mr Graham Smith coming down to my uni and saying that you've got a great opportunity to work for athletes leading up to the Olympics, and with the HPC registration to be completed at 2011, you have a great future. This has not been the case at all.

PA, do you mean Professional Association? If I'm right, this is the Society of Sports Therapists, and to be very honest, I don't have the most positive opinion on the society. I know a lot of friends from my year who have gone into teaching or other jobs, with no relation to Sports Therapy as the Society and Uni haven't provided support with regards to work.

At Graduation, the head of Department walked around with a clipboard asking about how we are getting on with jobs. I was very lucky to have found one, and am still here, however I specifically asked the Uni to help find a job with stability and full time...nothing.

I had a work experience student last season who was in his final year. I said to him to do as much CPD as poss because the degree alone isn't sufficient enough for the outside world in my pov.

I believe that as Sports Therapy is a new profession, ti will get there, however with the promises provided, it just isn't good enough for me.

I have asked for avenues and lead for jobs from the Society, but its the same websites. They are good for jobs, a high quantity, but only part-time and mainly employers looking for HPC registration.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do, I imagine a lecturer judging by what I've seen.

Thanks again for your reply.

I am the Training Director of Active Health Group, and a Director of Sports Therapy Organisation.

I cant understand why anyone wants a full time sports therapy job! I work part time for full time money, quality of life. I am diploma sports therapist with fitness industry experience, I had the same rubbish spouted by SST, it wont happen, and if as Ive heard today, SST are not far away from ditching their members who dont hold one of SST degrees, they are now ditching FdSc's from their accredited lists, yet Prof Smith still runs a 10 day diploma as a sales drive to get students to book onto CPD, SST have restriced CPD policy, charge far too much for membership, nearly 10 times that of STO.

Im self employed and wouldnt change that, I also wouldnt consider a NHS Physio degree, 50 applicants for every place, no placement opportunities, no NHS roles avaialble for rotation and an inability to work in private practise until you have NHS rotation.
To think Physio degree opens up work opportunity is wishful thinking, insurance work is not guaranteed and payments are months behind.

I truly believe that whichever course you do, it should prepare you for working in the industry, not promise you mirages in the distance, as SST have done since time began, stat regs is dead in the water, as a student on an SST degree course which failed to teach me a single thing, except how to sit in a library, I can honestly say I didnt learn a single "hands on technique" but can write a decent essay, but I could do that already as i have a teaching degree.

regards
Gary

Hello Hoss....hows you? I graduated with Hoss and I totally agree. Unless we get HPC recognition we will not be able to compete with physio's. I to am looking into training as a physio just so I can make the best of my Bsc. Self employment is an option and I am just embarking on that but I have to another job to support myself as buiness grows. It has taken me 4 years to get to that stage. Lets hope things get better in the future

I cant understand why anyone would want to compete with physios? For what? In my clinic we employ two full time sports therapists, three part time sports therapists, one part time osteopath/sports therapist, and will soon be having a part time podiatrist here too.

The part-timers either teach the rest of the time, or have other clinics. None of the sports therapists have degrees.

We did interview (via work experience) a few physiotherapists but they did not have the skills to match our sports therapists, nor were our clients impressed with any of their treatments.

Physiotherapists are trained to work in the NHS, unless they also have post-grad qualifications.

I receive letters and emails on a daily basis, from physios who cant find work at all. They are working as physio assistants, care assistants and other related health jobs.

I think with the amount of ST grads that are complaining about lack of work/opportunities, not just on this forum, but others, its time we looked at the degree, and see if it is fit for purpose or not?

I also wish people would forget about HPC regulation, it isnt happening, just ask HPC. Instead of wondering what life could be like with HPC regs, we should be making opportunities with what we have.

At the STO conference this weekend, it was highlighted that sports therapists just dont grasp the opportunities that are out there. Nothing is ever handed to us on a plate, we need to go out and grasp it with both hands, and if we arent achieving success, we need to look at how we are going about trying to obtain it.