Sports Therapy Forum

Welcome to our Forum

Active Health Sports Therapy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Qualifications

I have just applied for sports therapist position at a LEVEL 5 rugby union team (at this time I am not sure if they are to go down to a LEVEL 6 league, they finished bottom of the league).

'Currently needed for preseason (2013/14).
2 Physiotherapist or Sports Therapist needed for next season for game day and evening training sessions. Must have some experience of massage, taping, general sports injuries and rehab programmes.'

According to the advertisement I met the qualifications - Sports Therapist/Physiotherapist.

I have received a reply stating they are looking for MSST or Physiotherapist qualification.

My thought, having looked through the Society of Sports Therapist website is that a whilst a degree is useful, does it actually make up for +2years experience and level 5 diploma plus CPD and additional qualifications? Indeed is a newly qualified physiotherapist any better than an experienced Sports Therapist?

More to the point is that this is a level 5/6 team, we are not talking Saracens are they expecting too much?

I have suggested they amend their advertisement to reflect the actual requirements.

I just want things done correctly and not feel that a diploma/experience/cpd is not enough.

Re: Qualifications

can you forward me the response and I will take it up with them
regards
Gary

Re: Qualifications

I've had similar experiences, to the extent that I spoke to a professional football club and was informed that despite my numerous L5 Qualifications, X number of years experience, and multiple CPD courses, I would need to be supervised at all times by someone with a degree. The person in question had been qualified less than a year. Hey ho.

Its at the point now where I have given up on applying for positions within sport. I am quite happy working for myself, in my own clinic, my own hours, for my own income.