Sports Therapy Forum

Welcome to our Forum

Active Health Sports Therapy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ankle Sprain

Hi Guys , just thought I'd share this with you , Spoke to a friend today who at the weekend fell over her dog resulting in a Inversion sprain to her ankle , she went to A&E and the foot in question X-rayed, now the foot is very swollen and the bruising is coming out, so I asked the question why haven't you got the foot in question strapped up , her reply was that the Dr said it was a waste of time as this would just keep it warm, so maybe I'm missing something ?? but do they teach something totally different at medical school for acute soft tissue injuries ?? The silly thing is that when i said to the lady in question do you want me to strap it up she said, I Don't want to go against what the Dr's Advice, without carrying out any ligament stress tests I'm guessing its a good grade 2 ligament sprain to ATFL act ??? Any thoughts as to why this advice was given, I will point out that the Dr in question did say rest and have a couple of days off work lol

Re: Ankle Sprain

Iv had clients experience the same advice mate. Don't think your missing anything, I think, repeat I think, that maybe the staff in question are mixing up the term 'Optimal Loading' for 'put you body weight on it asap'..

I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

My thoughts exactly ,but when someones ankle is twice the size of the other one and getting bigger you would have thought applying compression would have been a no brainer , especially as the person in question is hobbling around in sandals and like to go over on it again, oh well its not my ankle

Unbelievable. To be fair doctors only worry about people when they have very serious life threatening injuries. They should utilise sports therapists in hospitals or at least external clinics to provide the right treatment for these injuries!