Permian.net Forum

Welcome to the Permian.net Forum

Permian.net Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marvin Rex Young - Class of 65

I knew Rex when we were growing up in Odessa. We went to different high schools, played summer league baseball when we were 13-14 years old. There are several people still in the Odessa area that knew him. Mike George who is the President of the Odessa Chamber of Commerce played football with him at Permian High School. I went to Odessa High School.
Gary Watkins who is a district Judge here also played football with him at Permian. Barry Horseman lives in Midland, Texas and is employed at Midland College played football and baseball with him at Permian.

Rex was an All American guy. He attended Hood Junior High if I remember right and then went to Permian High School. He played football, was a guard and was a catcher on the baseball team. I remember playing against him and I knew it would be hard to steal second on him, because he had a frozen rope throw.

He graduated in 1965, attended one semester of college at Odessa College and then transferred to Kent, California where his mother was living at the time. He joined the Army from Odessa I believe in the summer of 1966. His mother and Dad were divorced and when his mother moved to California, he stayed with a family in Odessa to finish high school. In the summer of 1966 when he decided to go into the service, his sister was back in Odessa. His sister died a couple of years ago and she is buried next to Rex at Sunset Memorial Gardens, Odessa.

If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

Re: Re: Marvin Rex Young - Class of 65

Rex was my cousin. When I was a little boy, he came and lived with my family in Alaska for a little while. He was a great guy and everyone in my family loved him dearly. I do have some pictures of him when he was a child. I am glad to see the many sites devoted to him. He was an execeptional person

Re: Re: Re: Marvin Rex Young - Class of 65

Hello Clint. I, too, am a cousin though a distant cousin. I am kin through Nancy Ellen Young who is my great grandmother. I have just recently found this branch of the family. I would be interested in anything you could share. I lived in Seminole, Texas the same time Rex and family lived in Odessa, Texas. My family never knew they connection or that they were there.

Janice Williams Langley