Welcome!

Forum: Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Flat bread mix was runny - Help

Jackie

joined a couple of weeks ago and have lost 8lbs - really appreciate the guidance and for the first time it is really working. No cravings - portion size feels natural. I just love using cream cheese to make a sauce with Dill.

Having shopped for all the ingredients I attempted my first Flat bread and it did not go thick - there was no indication of time to beat it on the recipe - how long - gave it 5 minutes. Phew!

It was very runny and I had to put it in muffin cases - came out fine and will be able to get used to the tast. Any suggestions on how much liquid to pull back on and is it best to pull back equally across the milk, olive oil and water?

Great service and guidance.

Email  
Re: Flat bread mix was runny - Help

Ann

Very many apologies for not having replied - the forum messages stopped coming and I did not know your message was there!

Hopefully you have managed to find the answer to the flat bread problem by now. If the batter doesn't thicken up, it almost certainly relates to how well ground the flax (or other seeds you might be using in your bakemix such as hemp and sesame etc)is. It's not like eggs where you have to beat for a certain length of time before they will go thick and ropey - if the seeds are sufficiently well ground, the batter should go thick within a minute, or three minutes at the most.

If your batter is not going thick, first check your measurements for the seed ingredients are correct. For instance, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of flax seeds and you are using ready-ground flaxmeal instead of grinding your own, then you need to increase the volume of flax to about one and one third cups. (If you are weighing your ingredients, then obviously the weight is the same whether you use flax seeds or flaxmeal.)

If you are grinding your own flax and your grinder doesn't get it very fine, then just use less water in your mix. You can start with very little water and add more a tablespoon at a time until you work out how much it will take. The flatbread will still be OK, it'll just be more 'bitty' and less like a 'bread' texture.

Next check the type of protein powder in the bakemix, if any. Protein powders vary enormously in ability to soak up liquid. The type used in my recipes is the calcium caseinate type. If you have whey protein isolate it looks very similar but won't thicken your batter at all. Again, reduce the water in the mix and your flatbreads should be fine.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further helps with the recipes.

Jackie

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains