Welcome!

Forum: Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Net Carbs

Hi

I've just started the Atkins diet. I am confused by the term 'net carbs' now as on the Atkins forum it's been said that you do not take off the fibre from the carbs listed on labels in the UK only the US?
Does anyone know if that's true?
Thanks
Helen

Email  
Re: Net Carbs

Hi Helen

You only take off the fibre from the total carbs to arrive at 'net carbs' if you're reading a US nutrition label (or using a US carb counter). UK nutrition labelling doesn't show fibre as a subset of carbs as US nutrition labelling does, so the issue of net carbs doesn't generally arise for UK low carbers. For more information on this see the 'low carb tips' section of my website at http://www.lowcarbiseasy.com/labelling.htm .

Best of luck with the low carbing!

Jackie

Thanks for your reply Jackie. I did try the link you mention above but it didn't work?

Sorry to ask again but I am new to this.....so for all labels in the UK I just take the Carbohydrate amount on the label and don't take off any fibre values? I have also bought a carb counter book which does the same thing, gives carbs then takes off fibre to give net carbs - which values should I use from this book?

Sorry for all the questions!

Helen

Email  

Helen

No worries! If a link on the internet is not 'clickable' (ie it's not underlined and a different colour, and it doesn't go anywhere when you click it), then highlight the link, do Ctrl C to copy it and then paste it into the address bar at the top of your browser with Ctrl V. Hit enter and it should take you to the link destination. Sometimes a link gets broken over a line if it's long, in which case make sure you highlight the whole link and delete any spaces if there are any within the link reference.

Regarding net carbs, yes, for all UK-labelled foods you just take the Carbohydrate amount on the label and don't take off any fibre values. The carb counter book you have sounds like an American/all countries one if it gives carbs then takes off fibre to give net carbs, because if it were only for UK people there would be no need for it to mention 'net' carbs in the first place. Anyway, yes, in this carb counter you take the 'net' carbs.

Hope this helps!

Jackie

Hi Helen,
I have read your entry with interest, as I found that the fibre contents of some foods seemed to actually cancel out the carbs, so it would have been lovely to be able to eat pounds of certain veg without worrying lol! I am really glad someone else thought about this, as I am enjoying the diet but obviously don't wish to go wrong.
Good luck
Kerstin

Email  

Hello Jackie,
I have just read Helen's entry about net carbs, it makes things a lot clearer!
I seem to be losing weight at a lower rate compared to others, but I am losing. I feel great with it too, and have just started the OWL phase, which I find quite scary, I am worried that I now stop losing or put back on. Also, due to my work commitments, I honestly don't manage 3 meals a day, or even snacks. Would that be the reason why I am losing more slowly? And is Soya milk an acceptable substitute in my tea, (which I can't live without in the morning...)

Email  

Hi Kerstin

Unfortunately some of us are slower losers than others, because our metabolism is slower (for instance, we may have less muscle than others; there's also the possibility of our thyroid and our adrenals not being a hundred per cent.) Also bear in mind that slow steady loss is better than large weight loss for your long term ability to maintain your new low weight.

If you feel great, and you're still losing, then don't worry. And if you do stop losing, then just cut back the carbs to when you were losing last.

If your blood sugar is not very stable then fewer larger meals rather than more frequent smaller meals and snacks may be encouraging your insulin to be higher, which might be affecting your weight loss. Also, if for 'work commitments' we should read 'stress', then your cortisol levels may well be affecting your ability to lose weight. If you are interested to find out more about why you may be a 'slow loser' you might like to take a look at my book "Why Can't I Lose Weight?" at www.dietplateau.com.

Soya milk is fine as long as you are counting the carbs in it, especially if you have a sweetened one, and assuming you don't have a soya sensitivity/allergy.

Jackie

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Cheap Domains