Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum

Welcome!

Forum: Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
need coaching

Started low carb program 5.5 weeks ago. Only 3 lbs. away from goal. Haven't been adding 5 extra carb grams weekly. How do I transition to life maintenance? Still keeping carb count between 15-30 grams per day. Too low? When I try increasing count I gain 1 lb the next day. So I return to the lower count. Should I stick w/ the increased count for 2-3 days? Thanks.
Tiny Dancer

Email  
Re: need coaching

Hi

When you are low carbing to the point where all your glycogen (intermediate energy store) is used up and then you add carbs, you have to expect a certain amount of gain on the scales. This is because each gram of glycogen is bound to 3 to 4 grams of water. For the same reason, when you first go very low carb and use up all your glycogen, you lose a lot of weight on the scales as all that water is flushed away. So this may be what is happening with you. Everyone is different in terms of the daily carb level at which this happens.

There is no problem with staying at a very low level of carbs for a long period, and since you have only been doing it for 5.5 weeks, you might like to keep at the 15 - 30 grams level until you get to goal, then start increasing again but very gradually.

One other possibility is that you could be retaining water if you happened to eat or drink something to which you are sensitive/allergic.

Jackie

Re: need coaching

Thanks for responding so quickly & for explanation of see-saw weight gain on scale. Feel more confident w/ this new info.9n9sk5

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting