Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum

Welcome!

Forum: Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Why is ketosis not working?

I've been following a low carb lifestyle for a yr. Six wks ago I started limiting carbs (only 20-30 daily, from cashews) to lose 10 lbs. It's not working. I'm in ketosis. Any suggestions?

Email   I've been living a low carb lifestyle for a yr. About 6 wks ago I started limiting carbs (20-30 daily) to lose 10 lbs but it's not working. HELP?  
Re: Why is ketosis not working?

Elyse

You can be in ketosis (ie in fat burning rather than carb burning mode) without losing weight. You still need to create a calorie deficit, so that's the first thing I would look at.

The second thing to think about would be meal frequency and its effect on insulin levels. Although carbs are the main stimulators of insulin, proteins and even fats can also stimulate it, and increasingly it's looking like it's not just what you eat but when you eat that's important for reducing insulin resistance and therefore insulin levels, thereby allowing access to your stored fat. Intermittent fasting (alternate day fasting, 24 or 36hr fasts twice a week and other variants of intermittent fasting) is all about allowing your insulin levels to go very low on a frequent basis, which in turn should reduce insulin resistance, reduce insulin levels and allow you to burn your stored fat.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards
Jackie

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains