Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum

Welcome!

Forum: Low Carb is Easy.com discussion forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Sweeteners

Do you want low carb products to be sweetened with polyols (sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol)? Or artificial sweeteners such as aspartame or saccharin? Or sucralose? Or do you think other alternatives should be used, such as stevia (a herb with a sweet taste used in Japan for many years)?

Re: Sweeteners

more products would be nice .I have noticed that my local ASDA has started introducing their own range of foods sweetened withe Splenda(sucralose) Not many products yet but a start . They have flavoured waters and chocolate at only 60p a bar in mint oranf=ge or milk flavour Well done ASDA

Email  

I wish I had an ASDA near me! Did you notice what the carb count per 100g is for their chocolate? The lowest I've found so far (of those that don't use polyols, that is) is plain Belgian chocolate sold in Sainsbury's (25 g carb per 100g).

Anyone the active ingrdient in Equal and the carb count?

Email   prcmike@yahoo.com  

Mike

The active ingredient is aspartame but the Equal website is strangely reticent about giving the carb counts for the various formulations and I haven't so far been able to find carb count details on a general web search - will continue looking!

Jackie

Yesterday I made the Almond Slice recipe from the cookbook and topped it with a cream cheese,sugar free vanilla pudding mix,splenda and cream mix with sliced strawberries. It made a delicious dessert for Sunday lunch but my husband felt that the cake part was not sweet enough.

As I don't want to add more Splenda because of the carbs I need another sweetener and it must be one that works for baking. Can anyone recommend anything I can buy in the UK?

Pat

Email  

Pat

If it's just the extra carbs you want to avoid, why not use Splenda in tablet form to provide the extra sweetening? I often do this, either crushing them with the back of a spoon and mixing the powder into the baking mix, or dissolving them in a little hot water and mixing into a wet ingredient such as egg.

Otherwise you can use Hermesetas Liquid, which is acesulfame and saccharine - no aspartame! It doesn't lose sweetness when baked. It can be difficult to get hold of, though. I get my local chemist (Lloyds) to order it for me. I have to buy 6 bottles at a time but luckily it doesn't go off for years.

Users outside the EU can use stevia of course, but unfortunately it's not a permitted item within the EU.

Hope this helps

Thank you for a brilliant answer Jackie. I hadn't thought of using Spenda tabs!

Actually I received some Stevia in the post this am. I got it from a registered herbalist and I think that as it is sold as a herbal medicine it is legal. I certainly hope so!

Pat

Email  

and again-

I have just made the chocolate Yule Log using Splenda tabs dissolved in water.It looks and smells wonderful.

I wonder which liquid sweetener you used Jackie?

Pat

Email  

Pat

Glad you're liking the recipes!

Using stevia is very much trial and error, as there are no standardised strengths/levels of purity. Some powdered brands have added fillers, while the liquid formulations have a varying degree of dilution. Brands also differ in terms of which parts of the herb have been used and in what ratio, which affects how much of a 'licorice' aftertaste they have.

If your supply comes with recipe examples, that will give you an idea of how much to use. Otherwise, you'll have to start with a very small amount (it is usually extremely concentrated) and work it out by experience!. To give you an idea, I use about 2/3 teaspoon of my stevia powder in a Victoria sponge recipe which contains 1 cup of 'flour' (ground almonds and protein powder, or whatever you're using for the bakemix). I use about 3 or 4 drops of my liquid stevia to sweeten one serving of natural yoghurt. But as I said, how much to use is very brand- and formulation-specific.

You've then also got to take into account different people's sensitivity to sweetness ... Mine is really acute now, because I've been on a very low carb/no sugar diet for so long. Things that taste just right to other people taste sickly sweet to me!

Stevia certainly tastes a bit different, but I think it's one of those acquired tastes. After all, the Japanese use it to sweeten virtually everything (not just 'diet' products). Sometimes I use a mixture of sweeteners including stevia because it's probably the 'healthiest' of the sweeteners, plus Splenda and/or Hermesetas Liquid because that helps to reduce the 'licorice' effect of the stevia.

When I made the Yule Log last neither granular Splenda nor stevia were available, so I would have used granular Hermesetas Gold and liquid Hermesetas. Nowadays I only use Splenda granular, Splenda tablets, Hermesetas Liquid, stevia powder and stevia liquid.

Good luck with your stevia!

Thank you Jackie. I certainly do like the recipes. It is great finding "English" style recipes for low carb as all my low carb recipe books in print are published in USA and the ingredients are not all available here.

I'll treat my stevia with care until I get used to it. Like you I no longer have as sweet a tooth as I did before low carbing.

Pat

Email  

Hi, I picked up FRUISANA FRUIT SUGAR it has a low GI of 19 (regular sugar is 65,glucose 100).
It is suitable for baking and cooking.
It is a natural sugar.
You use one third less than a recipe states.

I purchased it in tescos.

www.fruisana.com

Email  
Re: Re: Sweeteners

Jackie

Can you give me an idea of how many of the Splenda tablets to use in recipes? In baking, are they the same as 1 tablet=1 teaspoon?

I have also bought the Hermesetas liquid and Splenda granulated. Should I use a combination of the 3?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Pat

If it's just the extra carbs you want to avoid, why not use Splenda in tablet form to provide the extra sweetening? I often do this, either crushing them with the back of a spoon and mixing the powder into the baking mix, or dissolving them in a little hot water and mixing into a wet ingredient such as egg.

Otherwise you can use Hermesetas Liquid, which is acesulfame and saccharine - no aspartame! It doesn't lose sweetness when baked. It can be difficult to get hold of, though. I get my local chemist (Lloyds) to order it for me. I have to buy 6 bottles at a time but luckily it doesn't go off for years.

Users outside the EU can use stevia of course, but unfortunately it's not a permitted item within the EU.

Hope this helps

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Sweeteners

Ignore me, I've just solved the picture puzzle and got the sugar converter! Thanks anyway.

Replying to:

Jackie

Can you give me an idea of how many of the Splenda tablets to use in recipes? In baking, are they the same as 1 tablet=1 teaspoon?

I have also bought the Hermesetas liquid and Splenda granulated. Should I use a combination of the 3?

Replying to:

Pat

Hope this helps

Email  
Re: Sweeteners - using more than one together

Sheena

Yes, they say that the collective effect of a variety of sweeteners is better than just using more of one type. Depending on how un-carby I want to be on the day I'm making the recipe, I often substitute Hermesetas liquid or crushed up Splenda tablets for Splenda granulated. However, bear in mind that the granulated also contributes to the texture, so depending on what the recipe is for, you might not get such a good result texture-wise.

Jackie

I don't use artificial sweeteners at all as I think they're toxic - I do use xylitol, erythritol or inulin depending on what the recipe is though.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com