UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Holyground Records label

Been tidying up my cds and i come across a few Holyground cds that to be honest i have hardly played,how stupid was i,at the moment i have Thundermother playing,this is a pretty fab rock album with a touch of folkiness about it and swathes of acid guitar,other cds i have rediscovered are A-Austr and Gygafo-Legend of the Kingfisher,both excellent......i have noticed that all 3 cds were released by the Kissing Spell label and all in good sound quality. Also found a collection titled Loose Routes volume 1 pretty cheap on Amazon,which features the early recordings of this label from 65-71,theres also a volume 2 of the more prog end of things from 71-77 i think.Can anyone tell me what those 2 collections are like?Also can anyone recommend any other cds featuring stuff from Holyground??Many thanks

Re: The Holyground Records label

I likes
Jumble Lane, Gygafo & that Thundermother 'No Red Rowen' CD.

I have the following : some of them on vinyl , some on Kissing Spell and some on Holyground CDs . I like all of them

NUMBER NINE BREAD STREET
A / AUSTR
ASTRAL NAVIGATIONS
JUMBLE LANE
SKYBIRD SUMMER OF ‘ 73
JUNCTION 32
GYGAFO
BTW Did you know that Gygafo means "get your gear and F*ck off" ?

Um loverly

Like the Gygafo album and also how they got their name.

Fox off.

Professor Longhair
I have the following : some of them on vinyl , some on Kissing Spell and some on Holyground CDs . I like all of them

NUMBER NINE BREAD STREET
A / AUSTR
ASTRAL NAVIGATIONS
JUMBLE LANE
SKYBIRD SUMMER OF ‘ 73
JUNCTION 32
GYGAFO
BTW Did you know that Gygafo means "get your gear and F*ck off" ?

Forgot to mention Ode by BLUE EPITAPH

Ode sucks.

Whats Junction?
Never heard of it.

Stuart Robertson
Been tidying up my cds and i come across a few Holyground cds that to be honest i have hardly played,how stupid was i,at the moment i have Thundermother playing,this is a pretty fab rock album with a touch of folkiness about it and swathes of acid guitar,other cds i have rediscovered are A-Austr and Gygafo-Legend of the Kingfisher,both excellent......i have noticed that all 3 cds were released by the Kissing Spell label and all in good sound quality. Also found a collection titled Loose Routes volume 1 pretty cheap on Amazon,which features the early recordings of this label from 65-71,theres also a volume 2 of the more prog end of things from 71-77 i think.Can anyone tell me what those 2 collections are like?Also can anyone recommend any other cds featuring stuff from Holyground??Many thanks

Got back to my copy of Loose Routes..
I remember when I bought it directly from Hugo of Magic Mixture back then in 1991 when it was published.
Really nice "open" gatefold sleeve with a lot of HG people pictures and a large booklet with story, reviews, pics, etc.
The 1st Lp (1965-69) includes tracks by Chris Coombs ("It's alright" being a particular fave of mine), Bob Hart, Jane Westlake, Global Village, Aeon Orchestra.
The 2nd Lp (1970-75) includes tracks by Thundermother, Ric Jerrom, Biffo (The Storm), Lazy Days, Be Bop de Luxe, Gygafo, Chick shannon, Stve Channing.
Both are very heterogenous and quite enjoyable in their naive, notoriously low budget production (which to me adds to the feeling..).
So, if you have the 1st part on CD, I'll look for the 2nd CD too. Not essential, but you'll like it.

As for other HG products, I remember this being the object of a past thread: you may want to go back and read it.
In the meanwhie, a couple I rate high, besides A to Austr, Gygafo (great prog! and a what a wonderful packaging!) and Astral Navigations (a personal fave), are:
Blue Epitaph ("Orange room" is lovely) and Gagalactica.

Tears on the console is very weak instead.

Don't know Skybird, N°9 Bread Street and Jumble Lane, unfortunately... Folkish?
The originals are horrendously rare, and I don't think they have been reissued on vinyl yet, but I believe CD reissues can still be found.

Bernardo

Wallace
Fox off.

Did you mean you don't like Gygafo?

The originals are horrendously rare, and I don't think they have been reissued on vinyl yet, but I believe CD reissues can still be found.

Bernardo

[/quote]

Hi Bernardo still waiting for a reply to my email .

Yeah , all of the albums you mention are folkish , except for Jumble Lane which at a certain point becomes completely uncategorisable !

Lurv Gygafo.

Junction 32 it's a strange mixture of jug band music and folk .

arrgh no loose ends on amazon or ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sounds a goodie as well

Wallace
Lurv Gygafo.

Yeah I love it too . We're talking proto prog with psych leanings here

Professor Longhair
Junction 32 it's a strange mixture of jug band music and folk .

Verrrrry

Verrrry interesting....

but ridiculous.

dont like jugband music

Professor Longhair

Bernardo

Hi Bernardo still waiting for a reply to my email .

Yeah , all of the albums you mention are folkish , except for Jumble Lane which at a certain point becomes completely uncategorisable ![/quote]

Hi,
I had sent a reply a few days ago, but my server must have some problem. I sent it again thru another email - hope you get it.

B.

Wow Stu, do you really enjoy A-Aust? I thought it was really dull noodling. I wanted to like it because it's rare and Bill Nelson had some involvement. But it seemed obscure for a reason to me.

Hi Joe,my enthusiasm took over concerning A -Austr,i'm listening to it again this morning....excellent probably not the word to use....don't know what to call it...lol........so i'll take it back and give myself a good slap.As for Bill Nelson his Northern Dream is a good album,just recently reissued on cd.

Yup Stu, I enjoy Northern Dream, a bit more coherent overall. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something with that A->Austr album. Not that I'm being contrarian, I just was curious what you heard in it. I tend to get hyperbolic when describing my music as well

Hi Joe just got the Astral Navigations cd,this is much better than A-Austr,it contains 2 groups Light Years Away and Thundermother,some real good psych happening here,well worth getting if you've not already got it.

Hi, I'm trying to get a digital copy of the Junction 22 album. Can uou help with this at all?
Thanks

Michael

I've had a look round for Junction 32 but no joy yet but I've left a few enquiries for it so hoping it will show up

Thank you. Appreciate it

FYI - there was a folk sub label on Kissing Spell called Erehwon (Dylan T ref). The catalogue included a Tir Na Nog rarities album

FYI - there was a folk sub label on Kissing Spell called Erehwon (Dylan T ref). The catalogue included a Tir Na Nog rarities album

I checked discogs for this label but only found three offerings by Cy Timmons and chance for a link for the site you mentioned Frosty please

The Junction 32 albumis a difficult one to find but discogs have two vinyls of the album but at £1000+ a bit to much for my pension!
I have found 5 tracks from the album but in looking for the others most seem to be covers of other folk songs even a Wurzel track!
Tracklist
1 Bill Baley =======
2 Bold princess royall ======
3 Third take========
4 Tavistock goosey fair
5 Bonnets so blue/Oyster girl
6 Prickety bush ========
7 Champion dung spreader
1 Kilgarry mountain
2 Chinky chow mein blues
3 Will ushers
4 Jimmy Allen
5 wooden leg woman blues
6 Ropergate rag ========
7 Paytrain

=== denotes tracks I have found by Junction 32

Yes, I have found that these tracks have been tacked on to a Blue Epitaph reissue as "The Best of Junction 32" which suggests that the album isnt good enough to release in its own right. Shame that!
Thanks very much for your research

I thought Professor Longhair who posted on this thread had these albums and that he was a Italian Pal of mine but there must be two Professor Longhairs..but I wont give up its like a red rag to a bull

Yes kissing spell have released a lot of folk stuff on cd, much of it from the mid 70s,I have through time bought the majority of those releases, things like bodgers mate, magenta, waiting for the sun, brandywine bridge 2 albums, mithras, greenman, tickawinda, mourning phase, Mac murrough, mellow candle rarities, most are enjoyable, originally released in small numbers and some private pressings, there is some info on most concerning the group and music, but a bit skeletal info on a fair few on these cds, but on the whole kissing spell have done a nice job concerning sound quality, many of those cds are available on Amazon UK, but seem to be creeping up slowly in price, while there are a few that have already reached an expensive amount for me anyway, I'm missing just a few, because of unavailability or because I'm not willing to pay over the odds for a cd, funnily enough I just paid out a fair amount, the most I've ever paid for a cd, on a long delete marsha hunt cd, which includes her album woman child from 1970 and single sides as extras, her material is tough to find on cd, which is a shame as she recorded some fab music. Just under £30 I paid, and I'd hunted non us sites for hours, the postage for things from the states is ridiculous so I avoid all US music buying sites completely now! This was the cheapest I'd saw this cd, so after a long time I eventually bought it, with gritted teeth as that's expensive for a cd,particularly on a budget. But the music is so cool I just wanted it, I'd heard much of it in YouTube etc but I like to have that product in my hand, not download it. Very little mention of her even though she was connected to Marc bolan, hair the musical, and other things, but that 1970 album is well worth hearing.

I've come across one of the rare number nine bread street vinyls.
How would I go about getting it valued and sold to a collector?

Dan

You could sell it here:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Number-Nine-Bread-Street/release/4346925

Looks like around £200 is the value

Or go to ebay - it has sold for an average of around £250 there:

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=number+nine+bread&sortord=