UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Hollies-Butterfly(an appreciation)

Just been listening to this cracking little album,the second album from "67 from The Hollies the first of course being "Evolution"(whos US version is stronger than the UK version imo).First of i just want to say that the title track"Butterfly"is one of the most beautiful tracks i have in my music collection,its just a cracking composition with lush orchestration and fluttery(butterfly like)woodwind instrumentation,its just a tourdeforce of production by Ron Richards!!Anyway other mega faves are "Elevated Observations"with its getting high chord changes in the guitar,and the bloomin.g marvellous sitar laced number"Maker"a cracking piece of uk psych.But the whole album imo is pretty solid with maybe "Pegasus" and"Charlie and Fred"being the weakest moments.I wanted to add The Hollies to my ears were tremendoues hook laden songwriters(Clarke,Nicks and Nash)who recorded many hits not just in the 60s but into the 70s(without Nash of course)Also they recorded the likes of "Wings",the psych of"Tomorrow When It Comes"and"Relax"after the release of the "Butterfly"album with 2 of those laying unreleased till the rarities cd was released.I'll leave it there for now,but a couple of albums after this to hear are "Hollies sing the Hollies"and "Confessions of the mind"both imo pretty good albums!!Anyone else a fan of The Hollies particularly the time frame of the year 1967 to the first few months of 68""

Re: The Hollies-Butterfly(an appreciation)

HUGE fan of Hollies Stuart!

And BUTTERFLY is my fave Hollies album and as u state the title track is simply gorgeous.

I really like PEGASUS.

And their 45s rel between late ´64 up to ´68ish are perhaps the strongest run made in the UK + they also had fab b-sides so yes i´m a huge fan.

The rare & amazing tr "Wings" - cool clip from Swedish TV.

My favourite Hollies era as well... even the weaker tracks sound good to my ears. I agree that they did continue to create wonderful music after Nash left, but that period in particular was the highlight of their career... and Butterly is the peak.

Stuart how come u don´t like this shimmering track, pure FY if u ask me

Hi JJ ,i dont dislike "Pegasus"i just think compared to the likes of Butterfly its just not one of the stronger tracks,its a piece of pop fluff which is no bad thing,its just in this period the Hollies were at the top of their game and a song like "Pegasus"i dont think is up there with their best.I love the whole album JJ,as i said i dont dislike it mate.

great band. ithink confessions is a great album. not too keen on hollies sing hollies. i think hicks sings pegasus.

I just wanted to add to this post from many years ago, I do feel when Nash left they lost a massive innovator songwriter, harmoniser and musician and were not the same band without him!! Though as I did state they still release some fine stuff after he parted to follow his US West coast hippie dream. But never were the same to my ears!! But wow those albums from for certain because, would you believe,evolution and butterfly and all those non album singles and b sides, marvellous music!!!!!