UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: greatest 60s discoveries from the last years ?

Good call on the Penny Arkade, Omar!

I'll give a shout out to the following:

The Contents Are: Through You - Very obscure custom pressed folk rock/beat from Iowa that has been compared favorably to the Blue Things and Buffalo Springfield. Reissued by Shadoks on both vinyl and CD; be sure to grab the CD as it includes the band's singles as bonus tracks.

Beauregard Ajax: Deaf Priscilla - Originally recorded in 1968 for possible release on Del-Fi; the label's slide into bankruptcy prevented anything from being done with the tapes and it was not until Del-Fi was revived in the '90s that the tapes were discovered and dupes were sent out to collectors. Very strongly reminiscent of Revolver-era Beatles, this is one of Shadoks' better releases, in my opinion.

Time: Before There Was Time - Another one unearthed by Shadoks, this occupies that middle ground between psychedelia and early progressive rock. More on the arty, cerebral side of things; if you like Freeborne and Mandrake Memorial this will have a lot of appeal.

The Orkustra - Before Bobby Beausoleil got hooked up with our favorite musical murderous mastermind (that would be Charles Manson to you all) he led this outfit that could be best described as electric chamber music. There have been two releases of this material during the last decade, the first came out via RD, the second via Mexican Summer. The Mexican Summer LP is the preferable option as it is a 2 LP set; both releases had considerable input from Mr. Beausoleil and feature very detailed notes along with photos, poster repros, etc.

The Pretty Things: Philippe Debarge - Granted this material had been circulating amongst collectors for many years. Nice to finally see it get a legitimate release via Ugly Things.

...And an equally good call on the Time cd, Scott! Nice and trippy stuff that would've been a major psych collectors item if it had ever been released originally. Forgot about that one.

One release that really excited me was the Freedom"Nerosubianco"cd reissued not once but twice from Angel Air,well the first cd reissue was titled"Black on White"or something like that and the second cd reissue was the title of the soundtrack"Nerosubianco" that Freedom had recorded for an Italian movie,the band members didn't even know that it got a release....anyways i think its a brilliant slab of genuine UK psych which sounds a bit like early Procol Harum but more freaky and lysergic.And it comes complete with extra tracks too.

Another cd i was mightily impressed with is the Pisces"A Lovely Sight"release,featuring classic psych from the US and mostly unreleased too,how did this lay collecting dust for all those years,its trully a fantastic psych album featuring 15 nuggets!!And packaged lavishly too!!

Hilton Valentines album"All in your Head"was a real surprise for me,i just loved it the first time i heard it and have played it many times since,its a neat little album,and one cd ive not saw mentiioned here before.So ive just done it!!Its mentioned!!

Morning Dew-"At Last"classic late era psych reissued nicely by Cicadelic Records,fab album and another reissue i rate very highly!!I had never heard this album before i ordered it,wow!!I wasnt disappointed,a real favourite of mine!!

Tamam Shud-"The Goolutionites and the Real People"-Fabulous cd release by Aussie label AZtec Music,NOT the cruddy Radioactive cd,this album is up there in my top 10 albums of all time,not a duffer to be had and a welcome reissue of 2008.Comes with 9 bonus tracks too.

I could go on but i dont wanna bore you all to death!!

I have to say the Penny Arkade cd is a must own,and a real treat to hear,so im glad it got mentiioned!!

Stuart Robertson
One release that really excited me was the Freedom"Nerosubianco"cd reissued not once but twice from Angel Air,well the first cd reissue was titled"Black on White"or something like that and the second cd reissue was the title of the soundtrack"Nerosubianco" that Freedom had recorded for an Italian movie,the band members didn't even know that it got a release....anyways i think its a brilliant slab of genuine UK psych which sounds a bit like early Procol Harum but more freaky and lysergic.And it comes complete with extra tracks too.

Hi Stuart
Yeh great CD..

Fading Yellow has been an eye opener to many

Rolled Gold by the Action.

+ tons more.

The Factory (Lowell George's)

Not 60's but i was over the moon when Shuttah 'The Image Maker 1&2' got released on CD

There are some very good ones mentioned. Rolled Gold would be my pick. However some quite good ones that I remember- Breakthru Adventures Highway, The story of Them and other tales, The Ugly things discovery of (the other) Colours had its moments. Of course the unexpected discovery of King Fox’s LP in Australia was a bit ofa eye opener. Then as a New Zealander I should also mention our own Fourmyulas legendary 4th Lp which finally saw light of day in a box set, although it was not up to the previous standard of their earlier stuff.

thanx guys for your contributions !

to be honest, nothing in what you mentioned that IMHO reach such highs as the Action psych LP rediscovery, but full respect for your choices

a few comments:
Contents Are: pleasant album for sure, I'm digging it a lot, but well, IMHO a bit over-hyped by the acid crew. Let's say that I was expecting far more from it, especially after all P.Lundborg's raves. Anyway, a welcome reissue.

Debarge LP: sure, this UT release is great... that said, it's been years that I was spinning a CDR with all that stuff, and I'm pretty sure this material resurfaced on bootlegged cds around the end of the 80s, but maybe am I wrong. The Electric Banana retrospective on Teeth Planet featured also a lotta tracks originally recorded for the Debarge sessions. Don't get me wrong, a LP that I'm digging a lot and probably one of the greatest reissues from the past years, but let say that it's not been a mindblowing astonishing discovery !

SO, what else then would you ask ?

well, the OBVIOUS one.... how comes everybody forgot it already ?

--> Billy Nicholls' Would you believe LP on 10th Planet ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this masterpiece had been reissued before !

oh, and what about Elli's complete recordings on Dig The Fuzz ? Some of that marvelous stuff had already been featured on some of the ISSS comps, but that collection was like heaven when it came out !

I would ad also the reissue of the first Erkin Koray LP.. at least I was unaware of those sounds before 1995, and that mix of oriental flavours and euro 60s psych was and is still... marvelous

On the US side, I would mention Cold Sun - Dark Shadows reissue... I missed the Rockadelic reissue when it came out, ditto for the greek bootleg, the Word in Sound reissue was hence more than welcome...

s.

Aye that Erkin Koray needs a CD release fer sure

Yeah,Sylvain, the Cold Sun was another good one I forgot.

Stuart Robertson

Another cd i was mightily impressed with is the Pisces"A Lovely Sight"release,featuring classic psych from the US and mostly unreleased too,how did this lay collecting dust for all those years,its trully a fantastic psych album featuring 15 nuggets!!And packaged lavishly too!!

Hilton Valentines album"All in your Head"was a real surprise for me,i just loved it the first time i heard it and have played it many times since,its a neat little album,and one cd ive not saw mentiioned here before.So ive just done it!!Its mentioned!!

Morning Dew-"At Last"classic late era psych reissued nicely by Cicadelic Records,fab album and another reissue i rate very highly!!I had never heard this album before i ordered it,wow!!I wasnt disappointed,a real favourite of mine!!

Tamam Shud-"The Goolutionites and the Real People"-Fabulous cd release by Aussie label AZtec Music,NOT the cruddy Radioactive cd,this album is up there in my top 10 albums of all time,not a duffer to be had and a welcome reissue of 2008.Comes with 9 bonus tracks too.

I could go on but i dont wanna bore you all to death!!

I have to say the Penny Arkade cd is a must own,and a real treat to hear,so im glad it got mentiioned!!

Don't know if you already have them Stuart, but a couple of Aust albums from the same time and somewhat similar to Tamam Shud that you might to listen to are Kahvas Jute-Wide Open and Bakery-Momento.

I can lead you to 'Bakery' New for £2.99 free post

Spectrum 'One' & Melissa 'Midnight Trampoline' are good Australian fuzzies.

Hiya Greg,yes i have both Bakery and Kahvas Jute,and yes both are fine albums,Kerney i have both Spectrum albums,both are excellent and reissued a few year back.

Before I post a new forum contribution, I look up the album or concert using the search box here, and will continue an established thread rather than set up a new one when there's already one here. So I was surprised there was no thread for Cold Sun - Dark Shadows LP.
I went back this morning to make sure I saw right before and yeah ... no thread devoted to the album but some mentions in other threads including this one by sylvain. It has been interesting to chase up some of the LPs other UKPDF users put up here and I found some great stuff I missed first time around in the 60's - 70's.
Anyone who, like me, is relatively new to the forum and thirsty for exceptional psychedelic stuff new to us could find some real gems in other people's discoveries here.
Thank you sylvian.

Hiya Stevie,i for one appreciate your contributions,i've not taken part much at all the last couple of years on here because of life really!!I do contribute now and then,i've just read this thread,i can't believe it was 6 years ago this thread was started!!It's good to see some of my old compadries still taking part on here,hats off to everyone of you!
Stevie I see you're looking for recommendations.
Heres a few just from the top of my head:
Colours-Colours(An American group Originally released on the Dot label in 68 but received a fine cd reissue by revola ,part of cherry red!This is a fab wee album,very anglophile in sound to my ears,excellent songwriting,loads of melody and hooks and in my humble opinion a real hotty.Fab pop/psych to my ears!!)

Powder-Kapow!An explosive collection 1967-68(This cd was released by Big Beat a few years ago,you like mid 6os Who or The Nazz?This could be right up your street,real powerful smashing chords,very English mod like sounds,i mean the song"Gladly"could be The Who in disguise!!This is a 26 track cd which also includes recordings as The Art Collection and with New Zealander Ray Columbus!!Very highly recommended by my ears!!)

Richard and Thomas Frost-Visualize(2 brothers who played in Powder recorded a fab pop album in 1969 which never saw the light of day back then,but the good folks at revola unearthed those recordings originally done for the Liberty Label,and who went and released a fine cd of it!!It really is delightful stuff Stevie,fabulous songs,great high end and costly sounding production,why on earth Liberty never released it is a big mystery!!)

Del Shannon-Further Adventures of Charles Westover(Dels psych album releasded by BGO on cd,of course Charles Westover was his real name,when i first heard this album i was amazed and blown away by it,it really is a good un by Del!!I think this may have been a 1968 release.Oboes,Cellos ......woozy songs,a real surprise.Also check ouit Now Sounds cd of his London Recordings he did with Andrew Loog Oldham in 1967,titled"Home and Away",again those recordings lay in the vaults for many years,theyre just exquisite to my ears.EMI released a cd of this but majorly cocked up the liners and booklet!!Goes figures a major label put to shame by a small indie like Now Sounds!!Real pleasure to hear both cds,different beasts but highly enjoyable!!

Bobby Darin-Born Walden Robert Cassotto(this is a fab album by an unexpected source,Darin had done a couple of folk albums but this is a different beast altogether,more rocky sounding with slight psych overtones on some trackds,released in september 1968,like Del Shannon,Darin moving with the times,i also recommend the 1969 Darin album"Commitment",another goody to my ears,both released on cd by edsel records)

The 4 Seasons-Genuine Imitation Life Gazette(another so-called oldie act trying something different,i love this curiosity,the vocals as you may expect are absolutely fabulous and the mnusic is more rock orientated!Of course the UKs Jackie Lomax released the title track as a single.This is defintely an album worth hearing Stevie if you havent already!!)

Stevie thats just a few off the top off my head,3 acts9del Shannon,Bobby Darin,4 Seasons) you really wouldnt look upon doing anything significant in the age of aquarius but hoinestly the albums i have mentioned are very worthwhile giving an ear to.NOT fuzzed up psych,dont get me wrong,so apologies if this was not what you were after,but i just thought to dayglo waters was Chubby Checker and his" Chequered" album recorded in Amsterdam and released in 1970 i believe,fortunately uk label Sunbeam released this on cd with his great single "Gypsy"as a bonus track,Song titles like "Stoned in the bathroom"give the game away,this is a good psych album with to my ears a real UK sound to it!!With a track like "Goodbye Victoria"which to my ears could fit onto a UK pop/psych comp.You may have heard all of those albums i've mentioned,but i love when pre beatles acts tried to move with the times and tried something different.All the cds i've mentioned aint major all out psych at all.Just something different to look at,frtom a late 60s enthusiasts point of view,which i trully am!!Happy listening Stevie!!Thanks for jkeeping the conversations going on here!!!!

Well, these are actually 45s and I'm sure they're comped somewhere but I've managed to pick these up recently and am pleased about it for sure. They're both French and I don't really understand what they're saying but who cares.......
Tac Poum Systeme-Asmodai
5 Gentlemen-L.S.D. 25 Ou Les Métamorphoses De Margaret Steinway :ok_hand:

Have to think about albums though.....hmmm!

'Asmodia':grimacing: is a great 45, the B side isn't bad either (which is about their adventures playing around Paris). Never did pick a copy upo it was always too expensive. Got their second 45 though which is much more like a junk shop glam number and just as good but in that different style. Both single self-financed from the gig money I think.

PM