UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
The Troggs-any admirers?

Havving a sleepless night ,so im up spinning some sounds,after the posts about Chris Brittons "As i Am"album it got me working my way through The Troggs cds,i have the 4 (which i think are )USA albums on cd(From Nowhere,Trogglodynamite,Hip Hip Hooray,Cellophane) which contain some bloomin.g marvellous garagey type stuff mixed with pop and yes The Troggs also ventured into psych territory,with"When will the Rain come",Butterflies and Bees" and "Night of the long Grass" being particular faves!!The 4 ccds i have reissued by Repertoire are excellent,loads of bonus tracks on all 4 and good booklets and marvellous sound,and goig pretty cheap on Amazon the last time i looked.Anyone else enjoy the sounds of The Troggs??

Finally i would like to say that Reg Presley is fighting lung cancer and has stopped touring with THe Troggs,im sure im not alone in wishing Reg all the best and hope he can beat this cancer!!

Email  
Re: The Troggs-any admirers?

Love the Troggs and this their debut 45 from ´66 is a killer!

i too am a fan saw them at Westcliff a few yrs back

I tend toward "From Nowhere" over their later albums, but "When will the rain come" is a lovely melancholic piece of psych. "I just sing" off "From Nowhere" is a great tom-driven, snarling fuzz-punker.Those Repertoire discs are superb,agree with you Stu.

Cant forget to mention the psych track "Maybe The Madman"on the "Hip Hip Hooray" album.Would fit great on a Rubble comp!!

Email  

I'm a big fan of The Troggs. Only saw them once - in 1968. Some good songs mentioned in the previous posts - I especially like 'I Just Sing'. Their later releases such as the one they did with REM have some good songs - Nowhere Road and Crazie Annie for example. Good luck to Reg fighting lung cancer. After the couple of strokes he's had in recent years, things don't look too good.

Email  

Love the Troggs - some of their later 45s are also great - Strange Movies, I'm on Fire etc.

I do love the Troggs! Both their early and their later more "psych" period.
A track such as "With a girl you" is unforgettable, to cite just one of their gems.
Being a fan, I have heavily collected their production, including their LPs, and a lot of 45's and EP's from various countries, always enjoyining the different picture sleeves too.
Very sad to hear about Reg fighting against lung cancer - Good luck!

Email   deleted   Website

Mixed Bag is worth over a 100 quid these days!

I am totally with you guys on this. The troggs were a great band and had many great moments. Gosh they would have made a great psych LP if they wanted to (but they didn't...alas) I read a review that put down the troggs as a "three trick pony" referring to the 3 different styles of songs they did. On the other hand I believe they did all three styles well, they ranged from garage to pop very well and not many bands could.

Email