UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Sketches for Odessa

Been playing cd 3 of The Beegees masterwork Odessa,which features demos, alternate mixes and alternate versions,its a pure delight listening to those works in progress,i love the album "Odessa",i also really like the 3 albums before it,but to me this work is top notch and a climax to the first era of The Bee gees,on the alternate mixes etc you get plenty of yummy mellotron on a few tracks different vocals etc,some tracks are so different from the "real"album its like hearing a different track.Has anyone received the new Shindig with The Bee Gees on the front cover?Or is it not out yet??

Email  
Re: Sketches for Odessa

Hi Stu,
I had an old CD-R copy of Odessa for years and when the red velvet box was released in '09 I ordered it right away. And to be honest, I've preferred the first three over Odessa, but that's slowly been shifting.
Originally I was a bit put off by the Country flavoured 'Marley Purt Drive' and 'Give Your Best', so it sat upon the shelf more frequently than the earlier albums. But I've been finding lately that it contains some of my favourite Bee Gees songs - 'Melody Fair', 'Edison', 'Sound of Love', 'I Laugh in Your Face', 'Never Say Never Again', 'First of May' and of course the epic title track. Great stuff...

As for the new Shindig, according to the e-mail I got from them on the 19th of January, it hits the stands on February 16th. Needless to say, I`m really looking forward to this one!
Oh, and the update also mentioned that it will be on special promotion in WH Smith in the UK, so it should be pretty easy to find...

Email  

Hi Mark,I used to be like you concerning Odessa,i gave my full attention to 1st,Horizontal and Idea,but Odessa was treated like a distant cousin to those 3 albums,but over time i have came to appreciate Odessa a lot more,for a double album i find it consistently good,imo there really aint many throwaway tracks to be had on this,not like say the Beatles "White album"which imo has a few (to me anyway) weaker tracks on it(i love The Beatles by the way)!! As for the red velvet boxed cd set of Odessa,i think its a cracking package,with tremendous sound on all tracks and a fab booklet and i feel this will become a collectors item in the not so distant future.As for Shindig,im a subscriber so hoipefully i get the issue a wee bit earlier than the 16th.Looks a fab issue!!

Email  

i love oddessa. i did have the original velvet double album years ago but foolishly sold it.

I think Odessa would have made the best Bee Gees single album, but I can't go so far as to say it's stronger than the White Album, Stu. I'm just not hearing that level of songwriting. When it's good, it's great, and I agree that some of the best stuff they did is on Odessa. But those long instrumentals kind of weigh it down for me, and while I enjoy the oddness of "Whisper Whisper" or "Edison", I don't think they're the best songs they wrote. "Black Diamond" always has me expecting a KISS song.
But I will say "Marley Purt Drive" and "I Laugh in Your Face" are amazing and "Suddenly" and "Never Say Never Again" and the list goes on. It's a great record, I won't argue that, but it makes an amazing single album in my opinion, and the White Album (for me) just can't quite get pared down to a single without me thinking "you have to have THAT song on it!" which sends me back to the fruitless task of imagining a perfect single White Album. I agree with McCartney on that one...it's the White Album!
I have a friend who believes we should change our currency to "White Albums" so that when you buy an expensive item you ask yourself "how many White Albums would that be worth?" I can't see anything wrong with that idea. It's as close to a definition of value for money as I can think of. I wouldn't take off a single song, not even Revolution #9, which is amazing! OK, I've rambled on enough for one post!

Email  

Hi Joe,its good to see another opinion on this dbl album,and i take on board your views concerning The Beatles "White album",but i think theres a few average tracks for the fabs,heres the tracks i feel are fillers on the "White Album"Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill,Why dont we do it in the road and yer blues,i know not many choices but apart from that"The White album"is near perfect,i must say i enjoy Odessa from start to finish,many tracks may not be accessible as the more pop orientated first 3 albums but its a damn fine double set and dont laugh as i look upon Odessa as The Bee Gees "Prog"album im not saying its a prog album persay,its just how i look at it.Joe great post which i feel i cant better or put as elequently as yoursellf,so i hope this makes sense!!Thank you for sharing your views!!

Email  

oddessa is a double album but it is only about one hour long.

Thats all true, and maybe those White Album tracks are a bit less essential, although i like the bluesyness of "Yer Blues", and John Lennon was very impressed that Paul could write such a Lennon-style number as "Why Don't We Do It in the Road".
Also, Odessa is, a bit like "Exile on Main Street", of one mood pretty much, and ithink "Exile" is also shorter than the White Akbum, which makes it easy to go through in one sitting, i suppose.
But what's great about the White Album is how it feels almost like a compilation album with so many styles: late psych, rock, blues, nostalgic, experimental, weird, sing-a-long, singer/songwriter,etc. it's all there.
And of course i dont mean to say Odessa isnt great! I'm a Bee Gees fan who tracked down the Argentinian album "Kitty Can" because it had a couple of singles by Barry Gibb on it, so i'm obsessive about their early stuff. I'm just in the category of people who say its damned hard to make a double album where there doesnt seem to be a little filler somewhere. And for me the White Album comes a little closer to non-filler status than Odessa, but i wont go any further complaining about a Bee Gees record, because it almost feels like heresy
I'm in no hurry to sell my red velvet Odessa, that's for sure! And i do find those sketches very interesting. I think Odessa would have been bolstered if the vinyl had replaced one of the instrumentals with "Pity" and the version of "Nobody's Someone" that came out on most bootlegs. (There's a little too much busy stuff on the "Sketches" version). But either way "Nobody's Someone" should have been on the album, IMHO.
Well, we've spilled much ink on this topic! But i do agree Stu, it's essential.