UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Chubster

I am currently obsessed with collecting all known vinyl editions of Chubby Checker's 'Chequered' album of 1971, well known to those who post here, along with the associated 45s from it. It seems to have been issued between 1971 and 1976 in different countries. I have listed the editions I know of below, if anyone knows of any countries it was issued it under other titles etc or other 45s from it, I would be grateful for the info. I've got the British, Belgian and German editions so far of the LP and the British 45.

Also, does anyone have the CD reissue of 'Chequred' from a couple fo years ago - does it have any useful liner notes about the album or who was on it etc?

Cheers

PM

LP
UK– Chequered (London American 1971)
France – Chubby Checker (MFP, 1976)
Belgium – released as 'Slow Twistin’ (MFP 1976)
USA – New Revelation
Germany – The Other Side of Chubby Checker (Ariola 1971)
Spain – Chubby Checker (Ariola 1972)

45s
UK – Goodbye Victoria / Let’s Go Down (London American 1971)

Spain – My Mind (Comes From a High Place) / Stoned In The Bathroom (pic sleeve)

Germany - No Need To Get So Heavy / Slow Lovin’ (Ariola Germany pic sleeve)

Re: The Chubster

there was a discussion on Uspaces (I think ) some time back about the various singles and versions of this great lp.

I have the cd on underground masters (2007) but the liners are very basic -

Chubby Checker goes psychedelic!

In 1971, while living in Holland, the Twister King released a super rare album with some unknown hippie band backing him. Echoes of Hendrix and Arthur Lee circa 'Vindicator' can be heard on the heavy grooves contained on this record: killer hard guitar, powerful vocals, garagey organ, trippy lyrics, some introspective moments. 11 long tracks (nine of them written by Chubby himself) with titles like 'Stoned In The Bathroom,' 'My Mind,' 'No Need To Get So Heavy,' 'He Died'. You won't believe it when you hear Mr. Checker sounding like a lost Morgan Bluetown late sixties UK band ('Goodbye Victoria'), like Hendrix jamming with Blue Cheer ('My Mind;) or like a lost USA garage psych band ('Stoned In The Bathroom')."

but does go on to mention it was produced by Ed Chalpin.

hope that helps

I didn't know that a German pressing of the lp existed.

Here is what I have in my record collection.

Chubby Checker Reggae My Way/Gypsy 20th Century Records USA 1973

Photobucket

LP

Chubby Checker Chequered Demo Test Pressing UK 1971,lp came in a die cut plain white cover when I bought it.

Photobucket

Thanks very much to you both for that information and images which I have now added to what I have. I have the british pressing of Gypsy on PYE International, I will get the US issue for completion's sake. I know that 'Chequered' is being reisued again on CD in the near future 'with bonus tracks' which I hope will be a 'revelation'. It's odd the blurbs talk about theer being 11 tracks as there are only 10 on the three versions I have, whilst I believe the US version has only 9. Thanks again for sharing.

PM

Paul i absolutely love this album,i too have the Underground Masters cd,it really is a massive change for Chubby,do you have any more info on the cd reissue you mention and its coming with bonus tracks too....oh goody!!!To get away from Chubby i wanted to mention the late 60s albums by Bob Darin(yep "mac the knife" guy)he veered to a more folk rock sound at this time,with the release of 4 albums in total with the 2 late 60s efforts,"Born Walden Robert Cassotto"(68)and"Commitment"(69)being very good indeed,well worth hearing from an unlikely source!All have been issued on cd and are dirt cheap too buy,released by Edsel!!Go on give em a try,you might get a pleasant surprise!!

Hi Stuart,
I've not read what's on it but I know this new CD of CC's 'Chequered' is an official one. I read a US newspaper article from last month on line which basically says that CC has now won legal right to the tapes and is being reissued with his involvement. Interesting given how loath he was to even acknowledge the existance of the 'chequered' album until now let alone discuss it. I hope the extra tracks are from the same sessions as 'Chequered' and not just add ons of his other 45s from the same period.

In an update to my initial list, I have now secured a Mexican issue of the 1973 'Gypsy' 45 on the Gama label as well!!

The Bob Darrin LPs are very good, especially the first one, I put something from that on my 'Dreamweavers' comp all the way back in 2004, that seems an eternity ago in my voyage sin record collecting!

Paul

Hi Paul, I also have the Mexican EP Reggae My Way. A beautiful copy if anyone is after one drop me a line @ drrobert@btinternet.com Cheers Rob

Hello Rob, good to see u makin an appearance on here mate, love yer comps!

Chubs released a couple of 45s backed by Dutch band De Maskers mid to late 60s, maybe they were the backing band on the Chequered LP? It's a great LP and I particularly love Goodbye Victoria and My Mind. Gypsy was supposed to be from the same sessions I've heard and is another great track.

Apparently Chubby refuses to talk about the LP and gets very bitter about it. That may be more to do with the exploitation of the material by Ed Chalpin with presumably little reward for Chub, or maybe because like Muddy Waters view on Electric Mud, he hated the music.

There was an article in Ugly Things some time ago where CC was interviewed about the album and he seemed a lot happier about it. As he wrote everything on it his huffinees was probably due to the lack of sales on it at the time when it was something of a labour of love for him. He explained in the UT article that he felt driven to come up with something new because of how people like Hendrix had beenr received and he wanted to update his sound. It is a pity it never took off at the time but it's much better knopwn nowadays at least.

PM

You've done well to get a UK copy of it, the most respectful issue of this material in my opinion and also the best pressing. It's pretty scarce too.

Thanks yes, the UK issue is definitely the best quality pressing of it. The Spanish edition is the only one eluding me and that has an extra track on it not found on the others.

P