UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eugene Wallace - Book of Fool LP

Hi,
I've just been listening to the title track of this album from a blog spot and I really like it. Has anyone heard the rest of the album, is it as good as thr title track?? I think he was an Irishman, but the Lbum seems to have been isSued only by ABC in the USA, thoHgh I haven't actually googled to find out for sure yet.

PM

Re: Eugene Wallace - Book of Fool LP

Full biog / discography here:

http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/wallace-eugene.html

PM

I've never heard the above but I do have a 1975 (recorded in '72) album 'Dangerous' which featured on drums pre-Queen Roger Taylor. Standard rock stuff-not much to write home about...

Hi Eric, Yeah, I read that was the case. 'Dangerous' seems to be a pricey item (check popiske.com), probably because of Roger Taylor's involvement and Queen fans snapping them up.

I just ordered a copy of his first LP 'Book Of Fool', British pressing on EMI for £30 on Ebay UK Ex/Ex grade. The title track just knocked me out and I just found one other track from it on Youtube 'The Gambler', some guy's campaigning for the album's reissue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXyvBTxnqWs

Sort of like Joe Cocker meets John Martyn vocal style, but I've never heard that kind of voice sound so emphatic, based on the two cuts I'v heard, I just had to get it! This guy seems to be largely unknown outside Irish rock fans. Oh, and it's Phil Collins on drums on 'Book of Fool'. he certainly didn't lack big name friends at the time!

Paul

Actually, I just found the title track to Eugene Wallace's 'Dangerous' LP on Youtube and liked it. If anyone finds a link for a d/l of the whole album, please let me know, I've only found a dead link so far. The LP seems to sell for just south of £100 and has never been reissued,so I expect for now at least it's the only way of hearing it.

Cheers
PM

Gosh! 100! Book of fool was issued in tthe Usa too (ABC if I remember). Most of it is really good and if you put these along a couple of tracks form Dangerous you have a whole great album. Don't buy his last single instead, quite weak...

hope its good ive just splashed out £20 on a vinyl copy of amazon on a white label what ever that is..have i made a boo boo?

Hope you dig it Phil, I think 'Book of Fool' is a great album something like a Van Morrsion or Joe Cocker vocal approach, white soulful, stretched out songs, gets into a groove. It sure as hell deserves a reissue. A white label is a promo copy. Same as the released version but with a promo or white label that's all.

Paul

It's a bit late... but I've got MP3 Book of fool and I am loogking for Dangerous. Could you help me ? Thanks.

Just listening to [and getting] this album. Fantastic! It's a bit scary how so much amazing music was created back then and just passed us by under the radar like ships in the night.
Put it down to the vested interests of record execs etc just looking to strike it rich quick by signing up an artist as purely a commercial investment at minimal expense and with unimaginable riches going their way should anything and anyone they have control over becoming a big selling moneyspinner. Or put it down to the failure to invest to promote talented artists along side more middle of the road pop-pap stuff. Or maybe you think it was just bad luck or nobody was interested in the talent of people like Eugene Wallace.
It's up to you what you think, of course.
Me, I'm just so pleased the sunny side of the internet lets us get back to find and see/hear such fantastic stuff.

Did anyone get hold of his 'Dangerous' album? If so, what's it like and what tracks are really good in your opinion:?

I read here that you got yourself a promo copy of Book of Fool Phil, for a really good price [£20]. Hopefully it is in great condition. Promo albums are sent mostly to DJs and sometimes to others hoping to get some airplay and/or interest from managers of other artists who might record their songs. Usually they are VG-EX quality as they won't have been played to death - unless you got your copy from someone further down the line of possession of the LP. Also, well done Paul [Martin] in getting an EX/EX LP of this for £30!

If Eric Abrahamsen reads this, any chance of sharing the 'Dangerous' album? Or if anyone else can do so, please let me know!

Here is a nice Irish Blog entry about Eugene Wallace

https://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/wallace-eugene.html

If I remember well, the best tracks on Dangerous were "Children" and "The Killer"