UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Alan Bown-Outward Bown!!cd released

Just got notification that this double cd is out released on Grapefruit records.Which is great news as the See or Miles cd is long out of print,as i said its a double cd,one cd is the Stereo mix and cd2 is the Mono Mix with 4 extra tracks.This is a fabulous little album maybe a bit twee in places for some tastes here,but its mix of flower power pop whimsy with heavier styles like their blistering rendition of "All along the WatchTower"plus a tiny splash of soul with its horns which gives a clue as to their pre popsike dreams as a RnB and soul act.Anyone else got this ordered?Any comments to make on this album?

Re: The Alan Bown-Outward Bown!!cd released

Haven't received the new Grapefruit release yet, but I've always thought that Outward Bown is a great little album. And it's nice to see they've also included the original single version of Story Book, which to me is better than the album version.

Received this double cd today,nice product,differences in stereo and mono are there,and the liners are full of photos and the story of this under rated group is told.Great sound too!!Well worth getting,just under a tenner on Amazon!!

The see for miles version was 25 quid on ebay years back not too bad i thought ,Bought the vinyl version for 2.50 in 1981.

Re: The Alan Bown-Outward Bown!!

Posted about the dbl cd release of this smashing little album around 2 years ago now,just been giving the mono cd a spin again tonight,man each time i hear this the more i really dig it man........a mix of twee sike like "toyland" and heavier psych sounds like "penny for your thoughts",i feel this has everything a 60s uk pop collector would want as it covers a whole spectrum of sounds as ive noted above.Anyone else been giving this a spin in their hoose of late,definitely was a reissue of the year in 2012......heres hoping Grapefruit can give us more quality like this in 2014!!!Can anyone give a comment on the 69/70 follow up album which i think was titled The Alan Bown,i was sure i had this cd in my collection but not there(misfiled probably,f----- idiot stuart),i was just wondering if anyone could give a description or remind me of what sounds are like on that album.Thank you!!

Re: The Alan Bown-Outward Bown!!

Yes the follow up was called The Alan Bown 1970 Deram.