UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: slightly morbid question about Barry Ryan

Plenty of cut backs in these strange times OSP.

No Mr One Shed, I happened to just inherit my father's house with said double garage, along with my sister, so technically I would be "One Half of Double Garage With Lotsa Junk & No Car Either Nick", I was boasting above my station obviously! And no I am not from Yorkshire one upping you, or rather downupping you! Cheers, Nick the Bragger

NB These podcasts are now geo-blocked, so if anyone wants to listen they will need a Proxy Server or VPN unless you have an Australian server as they emanate from an Australian radio station.

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.southernfm.com.au/show/purple-haze/purple-haze-archive-podcast-barry-ryan/

Thanks for the info on the podcasts I will see if my VPN works

I have the pleasure to announce its now One Newly Painted Shed Phil..my newly painted shed looks glorious the envy of all my neighbours

thanks to all who keep this daft thread alive it will reach 2000 or I will die trying most prob the latteTake care all and stay alert you dont know whats around the corner

Thats 19900 only 100 to go

I hope you played some Paul and Barry Ryan at full volume to christen the newly painted shed.

Sounds like a good idea Whizzo I'm painting the Magic Fence today and ideas for tunes to play?

Personally I think you should go for Love is Love, the follow up to Eloise, in honour of the dual love of your shed and the Ryans.

Thats is a wizz of a idea Whizzo this thread is nearly there and I can rest in peace when it is

THATS IT 20000 VIEWS !!!!!! MY QUEST IS DONE all have a slab of cake to celebrate I couldnt have done it without you

One of the great achievements of modern times.:birthday: :beers:

Thankyou Whizzo for your kind words I am waiting to receive my notification of my Knighthood from the Palace

Dominic Cummings might like another little drive to hand deliver it. You could help him test his eyesight too.:grimacing:

You have a acid tongue Sir I didnt realise DC story has reached Aus! did you survive the wind?

Slight damage, tree debris,etc and yes The Cummings saga has definitely reached here.

This thread seems to have a life of its own

This thread has a life of its own! why the fascination with a decades old story

surprised this is still going

Only because you just mentioned it Phil.

Thanks Flax olde chap

The internet can be a wonderful place. I had a vague memory of hearing that Barry Ryan was burned in a telephone box - I was 4 years old (yes, I have a ridiculous memory) & recall being quite upset (big sister was a fan). Anyway, as years passed I assumed I must have just had a bunch of muddled memories so was quite amazed to discover that such a long thread existed confirming my freakish memories were in fact correct! Thank you all!

Thanks for the memory Barbara and the guys on this board have kept the thread and memory going

Well, one guy in particular.

Just heard the news...
Barry Ryan RIP

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi82MSAuKXzAhXSxjgGHYnwBU8QFnoECCEQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noise11.com%2Fnews%2Fbarry-ryan-of-eloise-fame-dies-at-age-72-20210930&usg=AOvVaw0CRAfCyFpP74pB4A0qGnjW

Oh, what sad news. RIP Barry 😢

Tis sad news they gave us some great music..RIP Barry

One Shed Phil
Tis sad news they gave us some great music..RIP Barry
Already this thread has lasted a long time and there is no intention to hijack it onto a slightly different subject. But nowhere can we find any information or story behind one of the hits that's never played, never acknowledged and rarely recalled. Other than 'Eloise' all the singles had relatively low placings in the national chart. They fared much better in the groundbreaking Radio London Fab Forty - a chart that set the pace for less than 3 years, but still airs weekly in its original time of 11am on Oldies Project.

The song that we thought their strongest was 'Claire' - a tremendous production that should have sold a million. Yet Barry, in an interview with Jason Barnard for Strange Brew, simply dismissed it as 'horrible.' The one we're currently hooked on again, and it's playing on repeat constantly, is the song he didn't mention at all, so probably hated it. The fabulous “Missy Missy” reached #12 in the Fab Forty in December 1966. It received also high placings on the Caroline Countdown and City Sixty. We'd love to hear the story of this Mike Leander/Charles Mills composition. Even in their repertoire, the song isn't always mentioned. The style would, at that time, have been better suited to the New Vaudeville Band. The Ryan Twins handled it well but there are no live performances of it to be found. The song made little impact on us until the 2015 re-run of the London Fab Forty when it was on permanent play for 20 days and remains a lasting earworm and one of the most played records of all time here. The Ryans and Mike Leander are no longer with us. We know not if Chas Mills or any artist contributing to it is still around, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the write up I must revisit Claire

I remember the tv coverage,Barry Ryan was flown into London Airport,with his face covered in bandages,I was only 6 at the time !

27000 + views wow

1 2