UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chubby Checker-Chequered cd

Just received this cd issued by Sunbeam records,its a real cracking album and the sound quality compared to the underground masters cd is a lot better.Its a shame that Chubby disowns this record as a great story is there be told,but unfortunately there aint any musings from Mr Checker but there is some reminisces from the albums producer Ed Chalpin,theres also the original album liners included in the booklet which has all the variations of the sleeves of this album.As for the music,one word....brillant!!!!THis to me is up there with the other old timer singer goes psych Del Shannons "Charles Westover" album,imo it really is that good.Not a bad track to be had,on this cd you also get a single track as a bonus and boy what a bonus,titled"Gypsy"which is as good as the best tracks on this album.....Anyone else pick up this issue of a fab album??

Re: Chubby Checker-Chequered cd

Hi Stuart,
Yes I got it too. I agree, it's a cracker. 'Gypsy' was the B side of the novelty 45 'Reegae My Way' which was released in 1973, although 'Gypsy' seems to date from the same earlier sessions as the 'Chequered' LP. The Spanish issue of the LP on Ariola had one extra track that the other five issues did not called 'Ballad of Jimmy' I think. The recent vinyl reissue on'Mariola' used the Spanish sleeve as it's design but I don't think that has this bonus track on it though I might be wrong.

I did read a report on the net that CC was now more comfortable talking about this album though we still don't have the low down on it from him. I collect the different versions on vinyl and still need the Spanish and American ('New Revelation')issues of it.

Anyone who has not heard this album ought to make the effort, it's amazing and not a sign of The Twist anywhere.

His distain for the lp may have been based on his loss of copyright, which he now seems to have regained.

Does not hold a candle to James Brown "House of Pup".

If thats the case Wallace,i really must get to hear this album,i can find no info anywhere about this album,its not even listed on All Music Guide,can you give a description of the sounds on offer?Or even better and post a photo of the sleeve please!

No, Stuart.

You are not deserving.

"House of Pup" is for my listening alone.

Is it as good as House Of Poop?

Not sure Wallace would even check into a lp titled, "House Of Poop".

Are you trying to loop Princiepoos in?

Only other House Ofs Wallace knows is House of Dark Shadows and House of Fat Man In A FartBox.

s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/?action=view¤t=114-96.gif" target="_blank">Photobucket

I really did NOT need to see that!

Photobucket

just checking other chubby discs and found this one
Chubby Checker - Chubby Checker Goes Psychedelic (1971)
didnt know if any one had heard it
any info thanks

nice wedding pic of u and the missus wally..by the way what have you done with JJ he seems to have dropped off the radar
by way my type in letters are FUXT getting close eh

It's just the 'Chequered' LP that's just been reissued Phil.People attribute all sorts of titles ot this record because it does not have a uniform title across all territories it was released in.

I read online CC had recently got back the rights to the album as well.

A while back someone was talking about the Brian Hyland psychish album. Can someone remind me of the title and has it been reissued?

Hi Greg,i have the Brian Hyland cd,its a reissue of a self titled album from 1970 and produced by MR Westover,Del Shannon himself!!Who also co wrote some tracks,its a good record but imo i wouldn't describe it as a psych album as such,but its a damn good pop album but totally and more adventurous than anything he had done before.Well worth getting Greg!!Plenty of good songs,ive got to thank Paul for turning me onto this album years ago on a cd compilation he had done,he included 2 tracks i think of this album,one titled"On the east Side"is great but i was over the moon to get this cd as most of the tracks were on par with that number.Happy hunting!!

Thanks for remembering that Stuart! The other cut I put on 'Dreamweavers' way back in 2003 I think, was 'Lorrain'. Indeed, it is not a psych album but a very good (ie 'mature') pop album. Hyland's most psych moment was the fab double sided 45 'Come With Me' / 'Delilah' on Dot. I was very lucky to pick up a mint demo copy of that for less than £30 a few months ago. The self-titled LP if you're looking for it on vinyl costs a lot less, or it used to anyway. As Stuart said, it's well worth hearing.

Paul

erm whats the title of the BH album please
thanks phil

It's self titled Phil - Brian Hyland by Brian Hyland.

See discogs link here:

http://www.discogs.com/Brian-Hyland-Brian-Hyland/master/298135

Paul