UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Motions

Pretty sure this comp just covers the Havoc label 45s. Some of this material was done without Robbie Van Leeuwen - Wonderful Impressions, Make It Legal, etc.

This album would certainly make for a good introduction to The Motions if you've not heard anything by them. I would also recommend the first 2 albums - Introduction To The Motions and Their Own Way. The third LP - Impressions of Wonderful - was recorded after Robbie left to form Shocking Blue. It is more of a pop-psych LP and has its moments but is probably a step down in overall quality from the first two.

I've not heard Electric Baby; it was a bargain bin staple here in the US in the mid to late '70s but I never bothered to pick up on it. I did have a copy of the last LP, Sensation, which quite frankly left me cold.

Hi Greg,I have a double cd released by Hunter Music in 2002 off all their A's &B sides,of both the Havoc recordings and Decca recordings,54 tracks in total.There are some great songs but theres also some ....well how do i put this?....not so great stuff too imo.It covers the years 1964-71 and if you can track this down its worth it.Unfortunately i don't and have never heard any of their albums,but from whats been said here,they sound interesting.But in the liners they say that the album "Electric Baby"is a mediocre album.But they do call "Impressions of Wonderful"as the Sgt Pepper of the Lowlands,this album sounds like a must hear.

Congrats Stuart that cd is going for $200 on Amazon

Hi Paul,bloody hell thats just ridiclous!!I bought mine years ago in all places Amsterdam,i just can't believe that someone would pay that for a double cd!!Crazy stuff!!

Hi Stuart , I think the most I ever paid for a cd/double cd was 20 euro and thats quite a lot. But some of those prices on Amazon are just a complete rip off . Will someone reissue this please

The motions are fantastic but the 3 Pseudonym Cd reissues of the good albums (first three) seem to be out of print.
Also, Cd of 3rd LP - "Impressions of Wonderful" has slightly different content from original LP, couple of additions/omissions. Its title track "Wonderful Impressions" is one of the most GORGEOUS pop psych tunes ever in my book.
Motions best stuff is more Beat than Psych.
I love 'em when they're good but not all of their output is too much above average.

"Wonderful Impressions" was a 45 only track (backed by "Nellie the horse") and not on the original LP.

Yeah, that's right.
The pseudonym Cd does include Wonderful Impressions but also leaves out quite a few songs - Green chewing gum machine for example.
The Cd isn't really the album proper but rather a compilation based around it.
I bought the Cd without checking it out thoroughly,wrongly assuming that it was the original Lp but after playing a few times I realised that a lot of it I already had on the singles Cd.
Shame, as all the ACTUAL tracks I know from the Lp are really good.
Still a good Cd in it's own right of course but I think you'd have to track down an original vinyl to get all the tracks.
Surely this one is ripe for a proper reissue?