UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: For Fox Sake

The US sleeve is preforated, to be gently torn off and made into a poster if you so desire. The US sleeve is also a bit more colorful than the UK pressing.

The US pressing is on Crewe Records, which must have been something of a tax loss for Bob Crewe. Sealed copies were around in quantity for many years after the fact and could be obtained quite cheaply, compared to the UK.

They were a Brighton band I think and it's a good album as Paul said. I have an 'exact replica' vinyl copy issued about a decade ago which has the single multi-coloured fox design sleeve.

PM

An album I thoroughly like and I revisited it just now as someone took it from my shared slsk P2P folder and that inspired me to listen again to it. Shades of early Traffic here and Beatlesque harmonies too. Exquisite!
Great stuff!
Here's all the info I have on this lovely band -
The only ever release by UK Psych band `The Fox` titled `For Fox Sake` (Fontana 6309 007) came out in 1970. The band recorded a day studio session of what were just supposed to be demos and their management (M&M) sold them to Fontana (Crewe in the US) who released them as an album (the band were actually expecting to re-record the songs before release). Their manager Patrick Meehan was too involved with his other project Black Sabbath so `The Fox` broke up the same year. As a result the record sold poorly making the UK issue incredibly hard to find which has pushed the price up to the £400 mark. Incidentally the US release on Crewe has a nice gimmix fold out poster sleeve but can still be picked up for a reasonable price.
If any of you want this, please ask and leave your request with your email address here and as always, I will deliver.

Thanks Steve. I actully have a copy of the album but agree with your comments. It undeservedly rarely gets mentioned in psych discussions.
Thanks for the background info.

I wholeheartedly agree,a fine little album,i have 2 cd versions of this,one version has a very colourful fox,very psychedelic in fact and I also have the cd that was reissued by RPM Records way back in 2003(gulp) which features 2 demos as bonus tracks with a well documented fold out booklet with some great period photos of the group.The artwork for this is the UK version which features a rather non psychedelic and unfriendly fox drawing,not near as good as the psyched up fox artwork which is the US version.Some great tracks on this album,of course the opus is Madame Magical,the only duffer in my humble opinion is the goodtime music track,the rest are excellent!!!A very under-rated album,and im so glad someones mentioned it!!!Sorry I've been absent friends,i do still occasionally check in ,not as much as I used too,i hope you're all doing ok,it's great to see the old faces still frequenting here!!!Great of Andy to keep this forum going!!!I do enjoy reading the postsd,Steves stuff is very interesting and amusing too,some real obscure albums you've mentioned Steve!!Always Interesting,good to see my old chum Paul Martin still here along with my old Aussie chum Greg!!!!!Hi guys!!!!