UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WOW ...Fleur De Lys !!

Surprised and delighted to find the following @ Heyday tonight.
Lots of it been comped before..( unless there are some different versions...anyone know ? } Anyway a few new tracks makes this a must have for me....

Due 18/03... Latest installment in the legendary Acid Jazz Rare Mod series.

The first official album release from legendary British soul / mod / psych heroes.

Often bootlegged, the Fleurs never managed to release an album until now.

Atlantic Records UK house band, they backed Sharon Tandy on her chart successes and played on hundreds of cuts anonymously, never quite obtaining the respect that they deserved.

Acid Jazz records records in collaboration with the only constant member, Keith Guster, have put together this glorious album that will see the Fleur de Lys take their right place in the pantheon of 60s legends.

"I was just sweet 17 when the original Fleur de Lys were formed in Southampton, 1964 but by March '66 I was the only original of those four to head for the bright lights of London, where I knew it was all happening. Well, a hell of a lot did happen. Through an incredible musical era, different members came and went until I was the last man standing when we had one crisis too many and drifted apart in July of 1969. I was privileged over those 5 years of the FDL to play alongside 11 different FDL members. All great people, all great musicians, who each played a huge and inspirational part on the tracks of this album, and on many other tracks with my old friends Sharon Tandy, John Bromley, Donnie Elbert, Graham Dee, and others." - Keith Guster, Fleur de Lys

1.Hold On 2.Mud In Your Eye 3.Circles 4.So Come On 5.Liar 6.Love Them All 7.You've Got To Earn It 8.Tick Tock 9.The Bitter With The Sweet 10.Brick By Brick 11.Wait For Me 12.Two Can Make It Together 13.I Forgive You 14.Stop Crossing The Bridge 15.Gotta Get Enough Time 16.I've Been Trying 17.Gong With The Luminous Nose

Re: WOW ...Fleur De Lys !!

Yes, nice to have the vinyl edition of this as Voiceprint's 'Reflections' anthology where most of the tracks on this Acid Jazz set are also to be found, is CD only. Unles, as you say, they are alternaive cuts.

Whilst it's true the FDL did record hundreds of tracks as a unit and with other artists, their best and most freakbeat monents are largely contained on 'Reflections' and again here. For instance they played on the John Bromely album (which I happen to like) but you would hardly call that essential or even recognise FDL on if everything you have heard by them is stuff like 'Hold On' and 'Mud In Your Eye' etc.

I think one song that they played on that is definitely worth hearing that is not included on 'Reflections' or this Acid Jazz collection is Tracy Rogers version of 'Baby' (a 1966 45 on Polydor - £100+ now) it's compiled on the Mercury label 60s girls CD from a few years back, which I can't recall the title of now - it's probably on youtube anyway. That's full-on FDL freakbeat, so there may be some other still out there not 'netted' here.

PM

That's all quite interesting and I don't have much to add except that I'm pretty sure I have a vinyl copy of that Fleur de Lys "Reflections" collection. It doesn't have all the songs from the CD, but it is on vinyl with the same purplish cover and a black and white photo of the band on some street. Or am I just imagining things?

Hi again Paul.

Tracy Rogers Baby 45 is also on New Rubble Vol 5 ( Scratch My Back )

...and Joe, I think I've seen a vinyl copy of Reflections somewhere too...

Yes, Reflections is on vinyl, it came out quite some time after th CD edition, I'd forgotten. Love that Tracy Rogers single.

Paul

Paul Martin
Yes, nice to have the vinyl edition of this as Voiceprint's 'Reflections' anthology where most of the tracks on this Acid Jazz set are also to be found, is CD only. Unles, as you say, they are alternaive cuts.

Whilst it's true the FDL did record hundreds of tracks as a unit and with other artists, their best and most freakbeat monents are largely contained on 'Reflections' and again here. For instance they played on the John Bromely album (which I happen to like) but you would hardly call that essential or even recognise FDL on if everything you have heard by them is stuff like 'Hold On' and 'Mud In Your Eye' etc.

I think one song that they played on that is definitely worth hearing that is not included on 'Reflections' or this Acid Jazz collection is Tracy Rogers version of 'Baby' (a 1966 45 on Polydor - £100+ now) it's compiled on the Mercury label 60s girls CD from a few years back, which I can't recall the title of now - it's probably on youtube anyway. That's full-on FDL freakbeat, so there may be some other still out there not 'netted' here.

PM

Tracy Rogers' "baby" or "back with you baby"?

Hi Gian.
The track we're talking about here is Baby from 66 w/ FDL backing.
I dont know if they backed her on Back with you baby, the follow up, in 67
Paul M. probably knows.

It's 'Baby' which I think was originally by The Sorrows? or one of the British ex pat 60s bands that got popular in Italy.

P

quite a few on ebay on vinyl and cd im tempted to buy it

That's odd... I just pulled out the "Reflections" comp and put it on the turntable and then came across this topic. A great band, and a great compilation. Nice liner notes by a certain Miss Lucy Nation. Didn't someone by that name post here a few years back? I wonder who he/she is...

And as pointed out above, "Reflections" is available on vinyl on the Turning Point Music label. Seems to be connected with the folks at Get Back! in Italy.

Fjerm Kokk (elf)

And as pointed out above, "Reflections" is available on vinyl on the Turning Point Music label. Seems to be connected with the folks at Get Back! in Italy.

That's right, but the LP had a quite tame mastering, I hope the new one is mastered hotter than that.
doc