UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One In A Million

Anyone here own the Wooden Hill CD 'Double Sight' ?
While I think most fans of UK mod/psych would agree that the worth of
their 45s is beyond dispute, I'd just like to know if the other material on
this one makes it a worthwhile buy.
There are a lot of collections of bands who released very little at the time
and they get padded out with demos, sometimes some are good, but often not.
Any thoughts guys ?

Re: One In A Million

I have it, it's very short about 30 minutes. I've not played it for a while and I don't think there's anything else of the claibre of 'Fredereeek Hernando' on it but a lot more that sounds like the 'Double Sight' B side. I found it to be a very worthwhile and enjoyable collection anyway despite how short it is. I guess it gathers everything they are known to have recorded at least and I don't think there's any filler on it. The band's stroy in the liner booklet is also worth getting it for.

PM

OK, I'll go for it then.
I've always loved Double Sight as much as Fredreek

Thanx Paul, helpful as always

Hi Painterman,As Paul said very short running time for a cd,but this must be all thats left of their recordings,i thoroughly enjoyed most of it,but to mine ears its not all great,and the top tracks are that excellent double sider,the track titled"No Smokes"was supposedly going to be their next single........im glad it wasn't as imo its one of the weaker tracks to be had on this collection.As for Dave Wells liners,thorough and informative as they ever are,with a few photos here and there,Jimmy McCulloch looks like a baby compared to the other band members,but how did guys so young write such terrific psych with mod moves and put it all together??11 tracks in total Painterman,if you like your psych with a mod spike,say like The Creation or The Attack,you'll love this!!

No Smokes was on one of the Purple Heart Surgery Comps i was going through my vinyl the other night and found it

It's attributed to 'unknown' or 'anonymous' on PHS I think?

P

Painterman 64
Anyone here own the Wooden Hill CD 'Double Sight' ?
While I think most fans of UK mod/psych would agree that the worth of
their 45s is beyond dispute, I'd just like to know if the other material on
this one makes it a worthwhile buy.
There are a lot of collections of bands who released very little at the time
and they get padded out with demos, sometimes some are good, but often not.
Any thoughts guys ?

The CD is a bit uneven in my opinion, but there's definitely some very good stuff on it, including the underrated CBS single. If you want to hear some of it first, Man In Yellow and The Trial of Elmer Fudd (both very Who-ish) are on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5Uzzp4Sxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwPZ8w8P2rE

Cheers Andy

Can't add anything much more than is here except that I've still got it and haven't thought about getting rid of it. Worth getting, although I could send you a copy if you like.

Painterman, would you happen to be a big Creation enthusiast?

Hi Ninja,

Definitely!!

Their original recordings rank among my fave records ever.
Not too keen on the reunion stuff tho...

I would have to concur.