UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fellow Ex Pat Aussies

Discovered this site accidently but oh what a lucky accident.

I have been in UK for donks now but am a Queensland export. As such I lack youthful cultural cross references with my myriad pommie chums. My fave bands growing up were the likes of Mother Goose, Mr B Thorpe, Saints, Easybeats, Skyhooks, Red Hot Peppers, Jo Jo Zep etc etc (& bands from elsewhere).

Was wondering if anyone else out there has similar background.

Got into the likes of the Masters, Red Gum, Jeannie Lewis, Pirana, Coloured Balls, Tamam Shud in my later teens & have gone more & more obscure since. Used to buy LPs for 10c just because I liked the cover. Had to go into the centre of Brisbane because Bardon was a musical desert, shop wise.

will cease boring you now

Re: Fellow Ex Pat Aussies

Hi Ninja and welcome to this little world of ours,great to see new people posting and what a great post to start off with.First of all i have never been to Australia nevere mind stayed there,but i must agree some great music from the late 60s early 70s came from there,Tamam Shuds two albums are among my faves as are Masters Apprentices a real fave too,I also enjoy Melissas album"Midnight Trampoline",also enjoy Tullys "Sea of Joy"soundtrack,love The Easybeats,particularly the volume 3 album,there best album imo.Also love The Cleves,Dave Millers/Leith Corbetts"Reflections of a Pioneer"and Mcphee.Just a few Aussie musical highlights that get played regular in Robertson Towers!!!

Hi Frothy and welcome,
There's maybe not that many ozzies here as such (Greg?) and Dan (Butterfly robot) from NZ, but like Staurt says,there's no shortage of enthusiasm for Australian 60s / 70s music on this board.

I've been a fan since I heard Raven's 'Ugly Things' comp LPs years back and the reissue output of Oz music has grown expodentially since then. I am just about to launch into the 2xCD collection 'Boogie! Australian blues, r'n'b, and heavy rock from the 70s'. As well as the cool stuff Stuart has already mentioned, I really like all the (mainly Sydney / Melbourne??) scenes from the late 70s / 80s. yes, The Saints (yes I know they were from Brisbane) / Radio Birdman are the lynchpins, but so many cool bands came in their wake, just grab the 'Do The Pop' double CD for a great various artists starter pack.

I have also been fascinated by the 70s (2nd wave) Sharpie scene / bands. Coloured Balls / Lobby Loyde are of course the touchstone for this musically,but I love the bonehead crunch (or do you call it 'grill fat'?) of bands like Fat Daddy and Twister.

Interestingly, I find a really hard and exciting edge in a lot of Australian 60s acts that look like 'boy' bands or 'heart-throb' singers but sound incredible, like MPD Ltd., Bobby & Laurie, Mike Furber etc. Great stuff and truly timeless.

PM

Easybeats great

Cheers for the welcome.
Think there was an edge to a lot of Aussie stuff from the mid 60s to mid 70s was the liklihood of getting killed or wounded in Vietnam. Even Russel Morris's song 'Rachael' was about the "joys" of war. Incidently I find the music to the quite good words to be too sickly for consumption. Imminence of death, an ethnic melting pot, & musical influences from the US & the UK.

You gotta listen to the Loved Ones if you like the Easys.

Think Khavas Jute are one of Australia's greatest lost treasures.

My biggest weakness is buying compilations then pursuing the artists that produce the best tracks

Hi Froth,i've bought quite a bit of Aussie reissues from Aztec Music,what a really dedicated lot run this label,gatefold cd sleeves original artwork,extra tracks, top sound available and good liners with period photos,another label i buy from is Vicious Sloth,not as deluxe as AZtec Music but at least theyre getting the music out there.I agree with what you say about Kahvas Jutes"Wide Open"album,fabulous freak album and recently got a great cd reissue by Aztec Music(is 2006 Recent? lol)Splendid stuff!!As Paul said theres been a fair amount of comps and i too cant get enough of them,I do have The Loved Ones"Magic Box"cd and again i agree its very good too.I am a big fan of loads of stuff from Australia and new Zealand,and much of the psych/pop stuff has a certain anglophile vibe imo with phasing being a regular used effect,i love The Fourmyula and have that cd jubilee box set that features all their recordings plus an unreleased at the time album.What a blooming great band they were!!New Zealand i know but i just felt i had to mention them.Would love to hear more recommendations from the late 60s early 70s from you as i know theres a lot more to listen too.Cheers FrothNinja!!

Hello Frothy from a fellow Australian. This weekend just gone and today are big here as it's the Australia Day long weekend. Plenty of parties and outdoor activities. Although there are terrible floods again in Queensland due to all the rain being dumped by an ex cyclone. That on top of the recent fires in the southern states has made it a tough start to the year for many. I hope if you have any family back in Queensland they're okay.
I hadn't thought about it before but Paul's right in the fact that Australian bands or artists from the 60s who attracted plenty of screaming girls actually had a real tough edge and there releases stand up against any other stuff from this era. Mike Furber and MPD Limited are great examples. The mighty Masters Apprentices and The Easybeats also attracted a similar audience early in their careers although their music wasn't what you would associate with screaming girls, particularly M.A.
By the way a Canadian label called Ugly Pop Records has put out Buried And Dead/Wars or Hands Of Time and The In-Sect's-I Can See My Love on 45.
Coincidentally I'd been listening to some of the late 70s/early 80s stuff Paul was talking about in the last couple of days from the Do The Pop and Tales From The Australian Underground comps.
Stuart, I was also listening to, on You Tube, an excellent track called Shake Off by an early 70s Aust band called Tymepiece. They evolved out of the 60s band Black Diamonds who released one of the all time great double sided 45s in See The Way/I Want Need Love You. Check out the fanatastic original clips on you tube. Unfortunately the rest of the Tymepiece album is a bit uneven in style and not up to this standard. Stuart, have you heard Bakery's Momento album? Well worth tracking down. Another of my favourites is Blackfeather-Mountains Of Madness. This is crying out for an Aztec type label reissue, but is highly unlikely to happen as the guitarist/ songwriter John Robinson won't let it happen. I think it has had some unauthorised reissue though.

The Jeannie Lewis Icarus theme lp is a jewel no one knows about outside of Australia.

Mother Goose? Cummon son. That sucks dick.

They are more than Baked Beans! I really like Stuffed, musics good, lyrics clever, better than Madder Lake. I can see they might not be everyones taste though.

G'day Mr Wisdom,
I've got family smeared across the southern half of Qld. My dad says that they had 300mm of rain in 24 hours and winds over 120kmh. All that just as the wet season is meant to be winding down. My sisters now living on an island (which is probably best for everyone ), my bro in Rocky is lucky his house is on stilts (its got stream under it at mo). All the rest are battered but standing. Hope your rels & friends are fine.
Talking of Hands Of Time, I bought the Raven cassette comp when I was in Australia - plenty of B sides including a fave 'Burke & Wills & Me' - when I bought the CD version a couple of years ago it missing my B sides. Grrr. So I burnt the cassette to disc, feck em.
Quite like Blackfeather but not one I would shell out too many bucks for. Later groups like Supernaut etc remind me of Blackfeather.

Nowt wrong with NZ Stu, Split Enz & the Red Hot Peppers were NZ.
...... & one of my brothers married a Maori.....& members of my family settled there in the late 1800s....

Does the Aztec version of Wide Open have any extra tracks?

Madder Lake better.
But, then again, Wallace is Your Prog Man

Glad to hear all the family are okay FN.
I've got a vinyl copy of that Wars Or Hands Of Time comp. Without looking was that track on the first album plus extra tracks that Aztec reissued?
Not a big fan of the later Blackfeather where they perhaps strayed into some lightweight stuff in an attempt to get a hit single,but their album M.O.M. is excellent.It includes of course Seasons Of Change which Fraternity with Bon Scott covered.
Got to admit also that I'm not big on Mother Goose, but I do like Madder Lake. To each their own.

Mother goose is just....homo.

Putin wont have anything to do with it.