UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jackie Lomax

On the topic of Beatles, I was moved to get this 1969 LP (is this what you want) on the strength of George Harrisons contributions. It has a few good tracks on it, but the one I am interested in is the psych pastiche title track, a clear tongue in cheek rip off of I am the Walrus. Worth a listen for bit of a giggle.

Re: Jackie Lomax

It's not a bad album I think, though other than the title track, the 2 x sides of the 45 from it are the best tracks George Harison's 'Sour Milk Sea' and 'The Eagle Laughs At You', both great floor shakers.

P

Yeh the Jackie Lomax album is a nice one,his only album for Apple.I have a comipilation of Jackie Lomaxs recordings that was released a couple of year ago with a 2nd cd when he was with proggers Budgie,which i have never played.But cd 1 imo is prety good stuff,if i remember right this collection is called"Lost Soul-singles and demos 66-67",this contains some excellent tracks with some nods to psych,which will certainly interest folk on here,but theres still a soulful vibe to a lot of it,i think Lomax had a great voice and he really shouldve been more successful than he was partricularly with having the backing of one of the fab 4,but hey look at Grapefruit as another example of having connections to The Beatles,they again shouldve been more successful,with "Around Grapefruit"being a splendid album........there i go going on about something else ,but the Jackie Lomax Lost Soul cd is well worth the tenner Amazon are asking for!!Recommended.

OK, I'm responding to this long after the original thread, but I was doing a little traveling and couldn't get to the computer. When the subject of Jackie Lomax arises, I have to chirp in that I have enjoyed his albums, and in spite of the awful "too many pores" close up shot on his third album, there are some songs on there that make me think of The Band. Nothing on those first three albums changed my world, but they have some pleasant songs.
I also recommend the group he played in called Heavy Jelly (one of two bands that used the name). The record came out on the Psycho label and in my opinion is some of my favorite Jackie Lomax stuff. A couple of songs remind me of Badfinger, which is high praise in my book.

First of all i have to correct myself,the second cd on the "Lost Souls"cd is Badger NOT budgie,good got that out of the way.Yeh Joe i have only investigated his first 2 albums,i have the"Home is in my Head"album from "71 on cd with 4 extra tracks,not played it in ages but from what i can remember i wasn't too enamoured with it,hence its not been taken off the shelf for a long time,i really need to give it another try!!!As for Heavy Jelly,never heard that album,is it psych or kinda acid rock Joe?Or neither?Im going to see if i can hunt it down and hopefully get a chance to sample some of it.But as i said in my other post that "Lost Souls"cd is excellent,do you have this Joe,it features mainly Lomax Alliance tracks recorded for CBS,and some others groups he was in.Im actually going to give the Badger album on cd 2 a listen tonight,i'll get back and post to say what i thought.

Hi Stuart,

Yeah, the Heavy Jelly album reminds me of a Badfinger album a little, but a tad bluesier on some tracks. Kind of like the more hard hitting Badfinger songs like "Blind Owl" on the Ass album or "Constitution" also on that album. I should mention that Pete Ham and Tom Evans actually sang backup vocals on the album so maybe that helps give it that sound. The last song "Take Me Down To The Water" is a pretty cool long tune but I disagree with Tapestry of Delights and find the whole album enjoyable.
It's a shame it didn't get a proper release back in 1970 (just a few promo copies on Head records) and instead the only legit release by the band came out on a 45, but while that single is fine, it's much more straight blues. Both songs are instrumentals and there's no singing on the single. Perhaps Jackie Lomax had already been lured back to the U.S. for a solo deal on Warner Brothers? I'm not sure. The single is good for what it is though. It sounds like Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation or something like that. In fact I think Heavy Jelly had a connection to that band.
But for me the single , albeit good blues rock, feels like a bonus track to the album, which I already mentioned was only released generally in the 1980's on Psycho records. I wouldn't call the album psych at all, just a good example of seventies music and the most consistent Jackie Lomax stuff I've heard, although I've read good reviews of his later albums for Capitol records and I'm curious to hear those.
I agree that Home is in Your Head, while not unpleasant, was a bit forgettable, although I should probably give that a listen again at some point.
I've read that the Badger album "White Lady" is worth hearing but haven't listened to it. Thanks for the tip on the Jackie Lomax "Lost Soul"! I'll check that out.
I think it's funny how so many discographies and CDRs just lump the Skip Bifferty Heavy Jelly in with this one, even though as far as I can tell they had nothing to do with each other. Tapestry of Delights doesn't give them separate entries either. Maybe for a long time people assumed they might be the same band, but the Skip Bifferty single is on Island and was on an Island sampler as well. The Jackie Lomax group was on a label called Head.
Well, that's all I've got!

Listened to the Badger album "White Lady" on Youtube. Not really my thing. The songs are typical Jackie Lomax sounding tunes, but the slickness sort of detracts instead of adds to the proceedings. The horns and back-up singers don't really help much. Sort of on the other end of the spectrum production-wise from the Heavy Jelly album. Some of the songs wouldn't be bad in demo form I'm guessing. But I'm not too fond of the songs in this form on first listen anyway.