Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Desert Island 20s

Motherlight - good pick!

Family -Doll's House This is one of the biggest conundrums for Wallace. Just dont understand the alure. Family made two lps that beat this.

Doesnt belong here, I knows, but here is a quizzer which (perhaps) you cannot cheat on with a search engine:

wot '67 Brit movie has origional music (mainly) by Matthew Fisher & Procol Harum?

Mr Whoppo,
totally with you on Fools Gold,didn't get it either.
No jangle, no harmonies.
Strangely it's probably their best known song in the UK, always on the radio.
I much prefer the exquisite guitar goings on on the flip.
Mostly festivals here too and the ones that weren't sold out in less than a half hour...I tried!

Oh, bollox. I thought your thread was about 20 songs, not 20 albums! I searched for any threads for desert island discs - read your post, Phil and was very sad you noted nobody put any Hendrix stuff in their list.
Then I had to laugh. People usually disappoint me when it comes to having some decent taste, common sense etc.
So I'm not going to give 20 songs here - just a few key songs by Jimi that prove he is the Supreme God of Music, in the category of guitar player extraordinaire, songwriter and singer!
1. Hey Joe
2. Purple Haze
3. Manic Depression
4. The Wind Cries Mary
5. Highway Chile
6. All Along The Watchtower
7. Bold As Love
8. Little Wing

[His playing was effortless. There's not one minute of his recorded career that feels like he's working hard at it – it feels like it's all flowing through him. The most beautiful song of the Jimi Hendrix canon is "Little Wing." It's just this gorgeous song that, as a guitar player, you can study your whole life and not get down, never get inside it the way that he does.]

9. 1983 ... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
10. Voodoo Child ( Slight Return )
11. Rainy Day, Dream Away
12. Angel
13. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
14. Red House
15. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
16. Our Lovely Home [Snowballs At My Window]
17. Power Of Soul
18. The Drifter's Escape
19. Like A Rolling Stone
20. Room Full Of Mirrors
=======
Damn! I could add so much more to a list and I did put 20 amazing songs here, even though I said I'd not do that! There's no room in a desert island 20 list for the scores of other Hendrix songs I love so much. I've got available 172 folders of Jimi's music - over 40 GB and more than 3,500 tracks just on the external drive i have close to me. Any real Jimi fans can request specific albums or collections from me but I'm not gonna do a comprehensive list - and I wanna feel sure you really adore the man and his music before I go to the trouble of sending you anything. Don't let that put you off asking!

Footnote:
Mahatma Gandhi's quote — 'The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.' - quoted also and paraphrased by Gladstone, Sri Chinmoy and Jimi etc.

PS. Ha! There will be a time when you will have to live without your favourite music and everything else you're so fond of. That time is called Death. Get used to it before you die.
:relieved:

You could start your 20 with all Hendix's LPs.
If I'm living after death then the music will be with me - being killed is unlikely to make me forget it.
Suspect Gandhi waould be more likely to paraphrase Gladstone than vice versa.
I like to think that Gandhi would have liked Hendrix's music & encouraged him to overcome the booze & chemicals.
Two icons taken before their time.

1 2