UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richmond-Frightened (73)

Has anyone got any info on this album released on the Date label in 73,ive read that its a good folk pop album....but a search on the web doesnt give much info unfortunately.Can anyone tell me if this albums any good??Much appreciated!!Thank you.

Re: Richmond-Frightened (73)

They were peviously known as Shillingford Mill (2 singles on MAM, one song is titled... Frightened!). There are also connection with band Oberon and Bowles Bros. (Chas Seward). It is maybe still downoladable from here
http://www.raremp3.co.uk/2010/02/richmond-frightened-1973-very-rare.html

It's a nice lp, maybe lacking in focus/direction, their last single Peaches was glam

Gian many thanks for that information,thats been helpful,the reason i was asking is that ive ordered the cd of this album,and i really took a gamble as i never knew what i was going to get.Really interested in hearing this when it arrives,i'll leave some feedback once ive heard this!!Another few cds ive ordered are by The Clearing,Stonefield Tramp and Graphite,all from the early 70s as far as i know.Luckily ive heard a few tracks from each on you-tube,sound ok from what ive heard!!

Didn't know it was out on CD, no legit I presume?

How crazy is this? I was a student at Bulmershe College Reading UK when this band started. They were all training to be teachers. I played soccer with Chas Seward, Rugby with John Davies and the third member of Richmond was Sis Hall I have a vinyl copy of this disc and still play it regularly. They were extremely talented musicians/songwriters and should IMHO have achieved greater recognition than they did. Strange how some bands hit the heights and others disappear into obscurity. I do sometimes wonder where these guys are now. If anyone has any contact with them I would love to hear from you.I did come across John Davies a few years later when I played a game of rugby against him. I had heard shortly after the college years that Chas went to the USA to try his hand at pro football (soccer)too.

Hi Dave,interesting stuff,i did receive the cd and i really like it,great to hear what happened to the makers of this fine album,the info on the cd which has been issued on a great name for a label Smart Weed!!According to the sleeve notes this was a duo Steve Hall and Chas Seward supplememnted by additional musicians,im finding it tough to read the sleevenotes but it seems John Davis co wrote a couple of tracks but doesn't appear to feature on the album,the photos on the sleeve shows a duo not a trio,so maybe when the time came to record the album maybe John Davis was out of the picture!!!The album features acoustic and layers of electric guitar and the songwriting is of a high standard.Pretty good stuff!!As for the cd being a legit release,i really dont know but the sound quality is excellent and features the lyrics of all songs.