Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Desert Island 20s

Hi Paul,
Probably should've had Stone Roses on my list too.
Reason I didn't was that I played that album constantly on a walkman for about 3 years to the point that it almost totally eclipsed everything else!
I thought it was the best album ever.
I've played it so much that I thought I could live without it for a while but have to admit when I hear it now it still sounds amazing.
I try to not play my favourite albums to death so much these days.
I didn't include Pepper, Revolver, Piper & Ogdens for the same reasons although I
really have had delightful times with them.

Mr Crimble, liking Kula Shaker, it's true they wear their influences right up front, but they do it with such style and really amazing songs.

Getting a lot of interesting stuff going on in this thread guys!

Zombies O & O
Smoke s/t Sidewalk
El Prunes Underground
Los Mac´s Kaleidoscope Men
Sonics Here are
Remains s/t
British North American Act s/t
Kinks Village Green...
John Cale Paris 1919
Velvet U s/t(3rd)
Nick Drake Fives leaves left
Jackson C Frank s/t
Beatles Revolver
Shoes Present Tense
Big Star Radio City
Del Shannon Charles Westover
F Mac Bare trees
S & G Bookends
Donovan Sunshine Superman
Flamin´ Groovies Shake some action

I´m basically a 45 kinda guy BUT that would be impossible to list only 20.

Seeds - S/T
Golden Dawn - Power Plant
13th Floor Elevators - Psychedelic sounds of
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Chocolate Watch Band - No Way Out
Chocolate Watch Band - Inner Mystique
Flat Earth Society - Waleeco
Beatles - White album
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Byrds - Preflyte
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Love - S/T (1st)
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - A Child's Guide to Good & Evil
Action - Brain
Wailers - Out of our Tree
Fapardokly - S/T
Boots - Here are the Boots
Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

thanks phillipe ivee spotted his album on ebay so might have a punt on your description
by the way your english is fine

no HENDRIX on anyones list!! mind you he isnt mentioned in these halls anyway are any of you fans of the man?

Huge fan, but he is one of those artists best served by ones own best of. There was filler on all his albums (eg Wild Thing). Its the beggar of tying it to 20 studio albums, otherwise its just a top 20 fave artistes.
But your right, there is a few artists notable by their absence.

Just realised I have a frighteningly large number of the LPs in peoples lists, well over 1/2 of them.
Incidently, what tracks are on what Brits call BeeGees 1st?

Stuart & Mark:
THE MONKEES-THE BIRDS THE BEES AND THE MONKEES
-PISCES , AQUARIUS

That took guts. But youse both correct. those ARE fine lps.

Philsers: HEAD would be a contender if it were not for that most horrid Davey Jones "Daddy's Song" (Nilsson???) wot ruins the whole lp.

still waiting fer your list wally olde pal..hope you are well

Wallace expects you all would not be interested in Wallace's top 20. As expected there is a disproportionate amount of pwog there:

Bo Hansson - Lord of the Rings
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Il Roveshio della Medaglia - contamiazione
Genesis - Nursery Cryme,Selling England by Pound,Foxtrot
Procol Harum - same , Shine On Brightly
Pink Floyd - relics
Jethro Tull - Passion Play

etc

There was a proportion of prog on mine too. In fact I was thinking of a VDGG album as well but there are favourite tracks on Wave, Pawn and H to He so too hard to choose.
Liking your Procol Harum, Genesis and Pink Floyd choices, although Relics is a comp.

VDGG would HAVE to be "Pawn Hearts"
Triumverat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Eloy - Silent Cries Mighty Echoes
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House, Three Friends
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Flock - Dinasour Swamps
ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition
Moody Blues - To our children's,children's children
(My best re-discovery of the last year was Lodge & Hayward's "Bluebirds". Somehow back in the day I didn't think too much of it, but I guess Ive mellowed. Remarkable lp, but on a best of 20 - well, maybe not)

Some non-progs on my list:
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
Kinks- Village Preservation Society
Pretty Things - SF Sorrow ( in the top three for sure)

Not familiar with these:

Ernie Graham
FZ & The MOI - We're Only In It For The Money
Capdevielle
Bim Sherman
Gigalo Aunts

I see you have Gentle Giant on there Wallace,i only heard Gentle Giant for the first time a few weeks ago,i didnt really know what to expect but i took the plunge and bought their self titled album on cd,i must admit to really liking it,some nice stuff on there,so thats been my discovery of the month.As for Procol Harum,both albums you mention are excellent.I see youre another one who has SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things on your list,this seems to be the most popular album out of all the lists,so i take it on this forum SF Sorrow beats Pink Floyds "Piper at the gates of dawn"as peoples most popular listen?I was surprised how few gave Pink Floyd a mention on their lists!!Interesting!!

The curious thing about Gentle Giant is that the Brits themselves didn't think much of them. They made it bigtime in Canada & Italy.
Funny how things like that happen.
The Canadian band Mashmakan really hit it with the Japanese audience, who knows why.

Stuart- I guess you know SIMON DUPREE & THE BIG SOUND? This is pre-Gentle Giant and popsike, not prog.

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money
Starring such classics as Whats The Ugliest Part Of Your Body, Hot Poop & Bow Tie Daddy
Got some experimental stuff on it too. It was a band album rather than just self indulgent Zappa.

Yup, SF Sorrow almost unanimous throughout.
I think a few of their other LPs are not too far behind either ( in my book )
Zombies seem to be in second place.
There are a lot of artists not too well represented, for myself, Beach Boys, Love,
Hendrix, Buffalo Springfield, Floyd and many others...it's not that I don't love
them but it's hard to pick a particular LP

Agree Painterman. Stone Roses should have been on my list too. Never much liked Fool's Gold though.
They played in Perth recently but unfortunately it was at a festival which made it very expensive plus the rest of the bands were not to my liking at all. It was called The Future Music Festival with The Prodigy, Bloc Party and a heap of dance and rave type acts. They did sideshows in the Eastern States but not here, bugger it.
I've been listening to a current UK band which remind me a little of The Stone Roses. The See See - Fountayne Mountain. Great hooks, melodies and jangly guitars.

Red Crayola - Parable
Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage
Beatles - White
Pink Floyd - Piper
Syd Barrett - Madcap Laughs
Second Hand - Both
Cardiacs - Sing to god
Pretties - SF + Parachute
Mandrake Memorial - Puzzle
Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava
Skip Bifferty - Same
Action - Rolled Gold
Choc Soup - Vols 1 + 2
Bobak Jons Malone - Motherlight
Family - Dolls House
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Deep - Psychedelic Moods
Outsiders - CQ
World of Twist - Quality Street
Traffic Sound - Virgin
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Motherlight - good pick!

Family -Doll's House This is one of the biggest conundrums for Wallace. Just dont understand the alure. Family made two lps that beat this.

Doesnt belong here, I knows, but here is a quizzer which (perhaps) you cannot cheat on with a search engine:

wot '67 Brit movie has origional music (mainly) by Matthew Fisher & Procol Harum?

Mr Whoppo,
totally with you on Fools Gold,didn't get it either.
No jangle, no harmonies.
Strangely it's probably their best known song in the UK, always on the radio.
I much prefer the exquisite guitar goings on on the flip.
Mostly festivals here too and the ones that weren't sold out in less than a half hour...I tried!

Oh, bollox. I thought your thread was about 20 songs, not 20 albums! I searched for any threads for desert island discs - read your post, Phil and was very sad you noted nobody put any Hendrix stuff in their list.
Then I had to laugh. People usually disappoint me when it comes to having some decent taste, common sense etc.
So I'm not going to give 20 songs here - just a few key songs by Jimi that prove he is the Supreme God of Music, in the category of guitar player extraordinaire, songwriter and singer!
1. Hey Joe
2. Purple Haze
3. Manic Depression
4. The Wind Cries Mary
5. Highway Chile
6. All Along The Watchtower
7. Bold As Love
8. Little Wing

[His playing was effortless. There's not one minute of his recorded career that feels like he's working hard at it – it feels like it's all flowing through him. The most beautiful song of the Jimi Hendrix canon is "Little Wing." It's just this gorgeous song that, as a guitar player, you can study your whole life and not get down, never get inside it the way that he does.]

9. 1983 ... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
10. Voodoo Child ( Slight Return )
11. Rainy Day, Dream Away
12. Angel
13. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
14. Red House
15. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
16. Our Lovely Home [Snowballs At My Window]
17. Power Of Soul
18. The Drifter's Escape
19. Like A Rolling Stone
20. Room Full Of Mirrors
=======
Damn! I could add so much more to a list and I did put 20 amazing songs here, even though I said I'd not do that! There's no room in a desert island 20 list for the scores of other Hendrix songs I love so much. I've got available 172 folders of Jimi's music - over 40 GB and more than 3,500 tracks just on the external drive i have close to me. Any real Jimi fans can request specific albums or collections from me but I'm not gonna do a comprehensive list - and I wanna feel sure you really adore the man and his music before I go to the trouble of sending you anything. Don't let that put you off asking!

Footnote:
Mahatma Gandhi's quote — 'The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.' - quoted also and paraphrased by Gladstone, Sri Chinmoy and Jimi etc.

PS. Ha! There will be a time when you will have to live without your favourite music and everything else you're so fond of. That time is called Death. Get used to it before you die.
:relieved:

You could start your 20 with all Hendix's LPs.
If I'm living after death then the music will be with me - being killed is unlikely to make me forget it.
Suspect Gandhi waould be more likely to paraphrase Gladstone than vice versa.
I like to think that Gandhi would have liked Hendrix's music & encouraged him to overcome the booze & chemicals.
Two icons taken before their time.