UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Golden Earrings Miracle Mirror

Just giving this one a spin for the second time this week.
Nice album.
Opening track to my ears doesn't sound like them at all...kinda bizarre psychy sounding track about being chased by a dwarf! Good though.
Circus Will Be Round in Time is so Gibb brothers, not just in the vibrato vocals but the melody is exactly like something they would have penned. Very nice.
Next up is Crystal Heaven, a jaunty pop psych number with trumpet well done.
One of the albums highlights for me is 'I've Just Lost Somebody', a dark moody ballad with harpsichord and Magical Mystery Tour style cello scraping, again very Bee Gees indeed, singer even sounds like 'em.Backing Vocals could be the Moodies, very haunting.
Another highlight..'Magnificent Magistral' an upbeat power popper worthy of The Who or The Hollies.
Bonus tracks are ace...45s, A's + B's.
Together We Live, Together We Love is Perfect '67 pop with muscle and there's the upbeat 'Sound Of The Screaming
Day' with it's cheeky pop psych piccolo...puts a smile on the face of old misery guts here anyway!
RPM reissue, superb sound,highly recommended.
If you like Tages,Bee Gees,Hollies then I think You'll love this, but then You've probably got it already!!

Re: Golden Earrings Miracle Mirror

Hi Painterman,im with you on this cd,a good album but not a great album if you get my gist,i've got the first 3 cds reissued by RPM and the sound is fab on all 3,i actually enjoy the 67 album"Winter Harvest"just as much,a very good band and from what i've heard a different kettle of fish to Golden Earring,who i must admit ive not heard much from,i was wondering how the "Eight Miles High"album is,the follow up to "Miracle Mirror"and the first album released under a slightly different name!!Painterman one Dutch group i highly recommend to you are The RO-D-YS,excellent songwriting and all done in a psych/pop mould on their excellent second album"Earnest Vocation",unfortunately to get a hold of their stuff is pretty hard i think......but ive not checked how easy or hard it is to get these days.So i maybe talking shit....lol.....Im sure you'll get enjoyment from them.The first album is titled"Just Fancy"and not as good as the second imo but certainly well worth a bash too!!

Hiya Stuart,
the Ro-d-ys albums seem to be well OOP at the mo, so I picked up a CD on that Rotation label pretty cheaply on
Amazon, it has tracks from those albums, a good place to start and pretty good it is too.
If they reissue the albums I'd definitely be interested.
I like 'Just Earrings' too, it's got great punchy sound.
Just been spinning 'At Home' by S.Blue tonight, thats a great album, love the guitar and drum sound on it, nice sitar bits and of course vocals.
The only other one I have is Scorpios Dance which is good but IMO not up to the standard of At Home.
Like you mentioned in your post a few weeks ago, I also would like to get a hold of 'Beat With Us'
Never seen a cd of that one tho....
Getting late now...think it's about time for the old traditional Dutch pastime!!

The best,but hard to find Ro-d-ys comp. is called the Complete Collection. It's a double cd and has just about everything they recorded.
And if walking good things Dutch, there's some great Outsiders comps plus their album CQ and the excellent Q 65 compilation Nothing But Trouble.

Hi Greg,When i was in Amsterdam many years ago i happen to come across that double Ro-d-ys cd collection,i just had to have it,as you say it basically haves everything they released,its a great collection and one of my prized cds in my collection,as for Q65 and The Outsiders,excellent stuff and im glad to hear that the Pseudonym record label is releaasing a complete Recordings collection of THe Outsiders stuff next month,that IS one to look out for.As for Q65,recently picked up their "Afghanistan" album on cd,i really like it,though how many original members played on this i don't really know,but a well worthwhile addition to be put amongst the other Dutch groups i have in my collection.Took me ages to track down a half reasonably priced cd of this,but the waiting and searching was worth it!!
At the moment im listening to some African stuff,from "75 Amanaz-Africa,some fab fuzzed out craziness on this,sounds years behind the times,more 71 than 75 to my ears,and a rather reasonably priced book set from a group named Witch,the book set is titled"We Intend to Cause Havoc"which contains 4 cds of music,and some of it good,recordings range from the years 1972-77.The album"Lazy Bones"from "75 being the pick of the 4 cds,but theres a lot more besides that.Again the music sounds more like early 70s rather than mid to late 70s,so dont let the dates put you off.If you fancy something different give those a try.