UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
easybeats

Just got the Repertoire Cd of Volume 3.
I've had the Repertoire Best Of for some years now but I never really thought a lot of it to be honest.
I thought I'd give them another go with this album as it was a load of tracks not included on the best of and it also featured 'Sorry' which I've always liked....brilliant album!
Don't know it well enough to single out tracks but there are some crackers on here, great guitars n vocals, really good melodic pop with a gritty edge, much better than most of the best of...tho to be fair I did like some of that one...best dig it out and give it another pop....am I missing any other great Easybeats stuff anyone?

Re: easybeats

Hi Painterman,imo "Volume 3" is the best and most consistent album they released and as you say the cd has some good extras,another 2 cds with some good stuff on them is the Repertoire cd of the album"Vigil"an original album from "68,this features pop/psych nuggets like"Falling off the Edge of the World",The Music Goes Round my Head"," come in you'll get Pneumonia"and "Land Of Make Believe"but unfortunately includes lacklustre covers the likes off"Hit the Road Jack".Some goodies as extras too,"Lay me Down and Die"and"Good Times"
The other cd which again has some good pop/psych is the"The Shame Just Drained"collection,featuring the likes of"Mr Riley of higginbottom and Clive","Amanda Storey"and"Heaven and Hell".If i remember right this ia a out take and rarities collection,but like most Easybeats cds has some filler.There was an article in the sadly missed e-zine SFA,where they had a list of The Easybeats more dayglo moments,and im sorry i cant find what issue that was in,but i remember being pretty impressed with it!!Look for that article Painterman,its a good indicator of the stuff im sure you would like!!

"Peculiar hole in the sky" is their best psych song I think. And I agree that Vigil is uneven but has good moments. A tough band to pin down because they mixed easy listening with their better stuff. I always liked the song "Fancy Seeing You Here" as well.

Their 2 best LPs never got released outside of Australia - Volume 3 (http://www.discogs.com/Easybeats-Volume-3/master/464967) from '66 and Best of Vol 2 (http://www.discogs.com/Easybeats-The-Best-Of-The-Easybeats-Pretty-Girl/release/4071172) from '69, which has their most psych effort. It's Too Easy is also enjoyable.

The Easies were not well represented by their UK releases really and a totally different picture emerges if you look at their Oz releases - a very innovative abnd talented band.

A lot of previously unreleased stuff has also filtered out over the years and some of this is amongst their best work, like The Shame Just Drained LP and several great Raven EPs released in the early 80s.

Vigil is my fave lp from 1968 bought in 1981

I think about the best Easybeats compilation is the 2cd Definitive Anthology.

Thanks you lot for your input on this, I'm really liking VOL 3 and digging out the Best of for a re appraisal has shown me there are some fine songs on there after all.I was looking at all the available CDs of their stuff, it seems Repertoire has got it all sewn up and there's a bewildering array of discs with all kinds of extras but it looks like the one to get is Aussie Beat That Shook The World 2cd Anthology 56 tracks no alternates/demos, so that must be most of their stuff.I guess thats the one Mr Whoppo in his wisdom is talking about.
Looks like it contains most of the songs championed by Stu, Austin & Joe so I'll be going for that...only 7 quid on Amazon too....cheers guys

Yep, that's the one PM. It has everything you need.

Vigil is fab.
I waited years for them to reform & the year I left Australia the b@ast@rds did. I bought the reunion cd, and annoyingly, they were quite good