UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Simon Dupree & The Big Sound

Lotsa music an lotsa peoples Skip....it's all a mystery!!
You might find the Simon Dupree a bit poppy too...

Good rundown of the tracks there Stuart.

End of second cd loses steam fast with those crummy Hollies-type tracks.
And the soul-tracks are pretty rubbish, but overall, there is lotta great music here.

These guys should have become a MONSTER teen band back then. Even being on EMI didnt help their career (pre Gentle Giant). How do you explain this?

The guy whose table I shared at the record convention had an absolute minto copy of "Reservations" lp. I think it was priced near $100.
Didn't sell.

Dupree must have been one of the first bands ,after Moodies, to use the mellotron - in this case the Abbey Road mellotron which was just a recent installation at the time of "Kites" in '67.

Well put painterman, I probably won't hold high hopes for this one then.

Hi Skip...some good (and some V.good) Brit Lps in a less poppy vein...

Gods Genesis & To Samuel A Son
Love Sculpture Forms and Feelings
Freedom Nerosubianco(Black on White)
East of Eden Mercator Projected
Bulldog Breed Made In England
Hardin & York Tomorrow Today

These all veer toward a more rock / on the cusp of progressive style while still retaining elements of the pop psych sounds....
..anyway whatever you want to call it, they're all worthwhile

Thank you. I listened to the Black and White album yesterday and have already played it three times. I think it's going to be one to add to my collection. I've also tried the Love Sculpture and the guitar work is really really impressive. I'm not as sure about the song-writing though. Are these two of your favourites? The orchestration on the Black and White is so good it almost reminds me of Gainsbourg's Histoire album. The keyboard (or something similar) is also really prominent and consistently excellent on this album.

I like the L.S a lot but I would say it's a little patchy, like most albums..Freedom is a beauty...
You may like Gun..S/T...see Gun post

There are two unreleased (then) Dupree tracks on the Gentle Giant - Scraping The Barrel - box set. Sort of prog/psych kletzmer